About the Role
The Firmware Architecture team at Zoox is responsible for guiding the development of our embedded systems and the firmware that makes them tick. Our team collaborates with other firmware, hardware, software, systems, and safety teams across Zoox to build complex systems designed for challenging automotive environments.
Together with the team, you will define the firmware architecture of our embedded systems and work with our cross-functional partners to drive the development of our next-generation robot. We are looking for a firmware engineer who is excited to work across our entire stack, loves to learn new things, and likes to take ownership of major components. If you like to drive the design and development of complex embedded systems, we would like to hear from you.
In this role, you will:
- Use your leadership skills to collaborate with our firmware leads, enabling them to design the architecture of our ECUs and create requirements, design documentation, test plans, and other supporting documentation.
- With our safety and systems teams to ensure our firmware development follows industry standards and processes (ISO-26262, etc.)
- Work closely with our hardware engineers and safety teams to develop the future platforms that will power our next-generation robots.
- Evaluate operating systems, frameworks, and tools to provide technical direction for the firmware organization.
- Provide technical guidance and assistance to engineering teams at Zoox to solve challenging firmware issues.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or equivalent experience.
- At least 9 years of experience developing highly available mission-critical embedded software.
- Strong embedded C/C++ programming experience.
- Experience with high-assurance development practices and tools (Polarion, ISO-26262, AUTOSAR/MISRA, etc.)
- History of providing technical leadership and guidance to other teams, enabling them to achieve their goals and deliver impact.
- Understanding of vehicle dynamics, automotive sensors and actuators, and communication protocols.
- Familiarity with Hazard and Risk Assessment (HARA) and/or Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA).
There are three major components to compensation for this position: salary, Amazon Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights. The salary range for this position is $188,000 to $275,000. A sign-on bonus may be offered as part of the compensation package. Compensation will vary based on geographic location and level. Leveling, as well as positioning within a level, is determined by a range of factors, including, but not limited to, a candidate's relevant years of experience, domain knowledge, and interview performance. The salary range listed in this posting is representative of the range of levels Zoox is considering for this position.
Zoox also offers a comprehensive package of benefits including paid time off (e.g. sick leave, vacation, bereavement), unpaid time off, Zoox Stock Appreciation Rights, Amazon RSUs, health insurance, long-term care insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, and life insurance.
Zoox is developing the first ground-up, fully autonomous vehicle fleet and the supporting ecosystem required to bring this technology to market. Sitting at the intersection of robotics, machine learning, and design, Zoox aims to provide the next generation of mobility-as-a-service in urban environments. We’re looking for top talent that shares our passion and wants to be part of a fast-moving and highly execution-oriented team.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application or interview process please reach out to email@example.com or your assigned recruiter.
A Final Note:
You do not need to match every listed expectation to apply for this position. Here at Zoox, we know that diverse perspectives foster the innovation we need to be successful, and we are committed to building a team that encompasses a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and skills.