Viget is an independent digital agency that has been branding, designing, and building digital products and platforms since 1999. Our culture is ideal for lifelong learners seeking a variety of meaningful work, supportive collaboration with positive teammates, and a healthy work/life balance. We work from four sweet offices (hybrid) and remote locations throughout the U.S., and utilize a proven cadence of virtual and in-person meetings and retreats to build camaraderie and stay connected. We love our team.
We solve our clients' problems using a variety of technologies—mostly Ruby for custom software and PHP for off-the-shelf CMS work, but also Python, Elixir, and more. Our engineers collaborate with product and project managers, interface and product designers, and front-end developers to create compelling products and platforms. We deliver secure, scalable, and reliable applications built on our expertise in system administration, hosting, infrastructure, and automation.
We engage a wide range of clients and their needs are diverse — from a single server on Google Cloud Platform to an autoscaling load-balanced deployment on AWS. Our clients range from smaller clients, to large e-commerce companies, to world-changing nonprofits and emerging startups. To fulfill such a wide variety of client needs, we must be adaptable and experienced in a large set of tools and techniques. Our solutions are tailored specifically for our clients and are not one-size-fits-all.
This is truly a DevOps position. You will be expected to set up hosting, infrastructure, monitoring, and backups; participate in configuring and tuning applications for deployment; create custom tooling to streamline processes; and assist in troubleshooting application problems. In short, your work will have a huge impact on the success of most of our engagements.
To get a feel for how we think and what we're learning about, read our tech articles, check out code.viget.com, or jump straight to our projects on GitHub.
A DevOps Engineer:
- Is a self-starter who proactively identifies and solves problems.
- Has written software and understands software development processes and tools.
- Is proficient with the command line and comfortable working in a terminal.
- Knows how to administer, monitor, and tune Ubuntu Linux systems, from installing software to managing SSH keys and writing systemd units.
- Has significant experience with AWS.
- Uses standard DevOps automation tools. Our stack includes: Ansible, Terraform, Packer, Docker, Bash.
- Has experience with common web stack software (e.g., nginx, PostgreSQL) and can diagnose issues and optimize performance as necessary.
- Implements security best practices to harden systems against attacks.
- Thrives when tackling multiple challenges and tasks across a wide range of projects.
- Clearly and effectively translates technical concepts for a non-technical audience.
- Works well in a collaborative environment that balances team-wide communication (daily stand-ups, Slack discussions, code reviews, etc.), occasional pair programming sessions, and frequent blocks of focused, uninterrupted work time.
Extra credit for experience with:
- Google Cloud Platform
- Administering Rails applications
- Troubleshooting and improving performance of PHP applications
- Bash scripting
- Continuous integration and deployment
Everyone at Viget:
- Embodies our core values of integrity, work ethic, collaboration, creativity, and lifelong learning.
- Values mentorship, learning, and sharing knowledge.
- Writes and speaks clearly and effectively when collaborating with teammates and clients.
- Believes in and supports our commitment to building a diverse and inclusive company.
Compensation and Benefits:
- Annual base salary of $80,000 - $110,000 (mid level) or $100,000 - $130,000 (senior) per year depending on location, skills, and experience
- Additional comp available via spot performance bonuses, sales referrals, and new hire referrals
- 401(k) retirement plan matching up to 4%
- 100% company-paid health and dental coverage for you and your family
- Stipends for wellness (apps, gyms, etc.) and connectivity (mobile phone or home internet)
- 15 days PTO (20 after 2 years), 9 paid holidays, and 2 community service days per year
- Up to $2,000/year in conference and training (professional development) budget
How to Apply:
Introduce yourself using this application form. One of our recruiters will respond typically within a day or two.
Please attach your resume and submit a cover letter discussing why you want to work at Viget, and how your previous experience relates to the position described. Examples of your previous work are also much appreciated. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications and are actively seeking people from underrepresented groups to join our team.
Before you get in touch, feel free to learn more about us on Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, Instagram, and by exploring viget.com and pointlesscorp.com.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. We are unable to offer work visa sponsorship at this time.
Viget is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace where all of us feel valued and heard. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, socioeconomic status, religion, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, military or veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristics. If you have any questions or need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email email@example.com.