Scale’s Generative AI ML team conducts research on models, supervision, and algorithms that advance frontier models for Scale’s applied-ML teams and the broader AI community. Scale is uniquely positioned at the heart of the field of AI as an indispensable provider of training and evaluation data and end-to-end solutions for the ML lifecycle. You will work closely with Scale’s Generative AI product team focused on accelerating AI adoption for some of the largest companies in the world.
At Scale, our research is driven by product needs. Your focus will be on developing new foundational models, algorithms, and forms of supervision for Generative AI. You will lead writing, publishing, and adoption of your work internally with applied teams. You will be involved end-to-end from the inception and planning of new research agendas. You'll be creating high quality datasets, implementing models and associated training and evaluation stacks, producing high caliber publications in the form of peer-reviewed journal articles, blogs, white papers, and internal presentations & documentation. If you are excited about shaping the future AI via fundamental innovations, we would love to hear from you!
- Publish new methods that advance frontier models/LLMs via human in the loop
- Release papers, datasets, and open source code that improve state of the art open source models
- Evaluate, adapt, and develop new state of the art language and/or multimodal foundation models
Ideally you’d have:
- A track record of high-caliber publications in peer-reviewed machine learning venues (e.g. NeurIPS, ICLR, ICML, EMNLP, CVPR, AAAI etc.)
- Interest in capability and alignment research
- At least 3 to 5 years of model training and evaluation experience
- Strong skills in NLP, LLMs and deep learning
- Solid background in algorithms, data structures, and object-oriented programming.
- Experience working with cloud technology stack (eg. AWS or GCP) and developing machine learning models in a cloud environment.
- Strong high-level programming skills (e.g., Python), frameworks and tools such as Pytorch lightning, kuberflow, TensorFlow, transformers, etc.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to operate in a cross functional team environment and to broadcast your work efficiently and with splash
- A PhD in AI, Machine Learning, Computer Science, or related field
Nice to haves:
- Experience in dealing with large scale AI problems, ideally in the generative-AI field.
- Demonstrated research expertise in post-training methods &/or next generation use cases for large language models including instruction tuning, RLHF, tool use, reasoning, agents, and multimodal, etc.
The base salary range for this full-time position in our hub locations of San Francisco, New York, or Seattle, is $240,000-$290,000. Compensation packages at Scale include base salary, equity, and benefits. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position, determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, interview performance, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process. Scale employees are also granted Stock Options that are awarded upon board of director approval. You’ll also receive benefits including, but not limited to: Comprehensive health, dental and vision coverage, retirement benefits, a learning and development stipend, and generous PTO. Additionally, this role may be eligible for additional benefits such as a commuter stipend.
At Scale, we believe that the transition from traditional software to AI is one of the most important shifts of our time. Our mission is to make that happen faster across every industry, and our team is transforming how organizations build and deploy AI. Our products power the world's most advanced LLMs, generative models, and computer vision models. We are trusted by generative AI companies such as OpenAI, Meta, and Microsoft, government agencies like the U.S. Army and U.S. Air Force, and enterprises including GM and Accenture. We are expanding our team to accelerate the development of AI applications.
We believe that everyone should be able to bring their whole selves to work, which is why we are proud to be an affirmative action employer and inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability status, gender identity or Veteran status.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please see the United States Department of Labor's Know Your Rights poster for additional information.
We comply with the United States Department of Labor's Pay Transparency provision.
PLEASE NOTE: We collect, retain and use personal data for our professional business purposes, including notifying you of job opportunities that may be of interest and sharing with our affiliates. We limit the personal data we collect to that which we believe is appropriate and necessary to manage applicants’ needs, provide our services, and comply with applicable laws. Any information we collect in connection with your application will be treated in accordance with our internal policies and programs designed to protect personal data.
Other Jobs from Scale AI
There are more than 50,000 engineering jobs:
Subscribe to membership and unlock all jobs
50,000+ jobs from 4,500+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member
🎉 12 people have signed up in the past 7 days.
Overall, over 80% of customers chose to renew their subscriptions after the initial sign-up.
Cancel anytime / Money-back guarantee