Pagoda is shepherding a future where NEAR becomes the blockchain operating system. We believe that re-inventing how software is made and distributed is our greatest opportunity to open economic access to those who are not fully integrated into the global economy. Our products empower people to find opportunity, invent new experiences, and collaborate. Let's build an Open Web world. A world where people control their assets, data, and power of governance.
About The Role:
The Protocol Engineering team at Pagoda is responsible for the infrastructure of Layer 1 Blockchain, NEAR Protocol. We focus on building scalable, performant, and reliable infrastructure to actualize the Open Web vision where people control their data, assets, and power of governance.
We are growing our engineering team that develops the blockchain protocol specification and its implementation. You will be working with complex concurrent systems, complicated state machines, and novel algorithms powering NEAR Protocol blockchain.
You will own various components and drive critical initiatives throughout their life cycles, including architecture, implementation, and maintenance. You will collaborate with highly knowledgeable and skilled colleagues who are passionate about solving hard problems that can disrupt the industry.
As a Principal Software Engineer you will work in a highly ambiguous space, identify problems to tackle, research and come up with solutions, thoroughly plan milestones, and drive end to end execution while mentoring other engineers. As a technical leader for a large team of engineers, you will work in close collaboration with the Engineering Managers, oversee ongoing projects, create roadmaps, coordinate cross team collaboration, and provide technical support and guidance to the protocol engineers.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Bring in a high level of technical expertise, provide technical strategic guidance to the Protocol team.
- Architect and oversee implementation of complex blockchain components in Rust.
- Design and propose blockchain protocol innovative changes ensuring end-to-end ownership of critical blockchain components.
- Do performance optimizations and scalability/reliability improvements of blockchain.
- Audit and resolve critical problems across blockchain infrastructure to provide the best user experience.
- Contribute to the open source community by collaborating with external contributors on our codebase and participating in community events.
- Partner with Engineering Managers and drive the team’s technical roadmap, control budget and do technical resource planning.
- Facilitate technical discussions, consolidate different perspectives to drive goals to execution.
- In collaboration with Engineering Managers create a dynamic and accountable performance environment ensuring professional development of each team member.
- Stay abreast of industry trends, emerging technologies, and competitive landscape in the blockchain engineering domain.
- Collaborate with a fully distributed team around the world.
What We're Looking For:
- Blockchain enthusiast with ability to
- Navigate through ambiguity and clarifying unknowns
- Quickly learn and grasp complex engineering concepts; we expect you to obtain a very good understanding of the blockchain protocol
- Write clean yet efficient code.
- Make trade off decisions for ruthless prioritization
- Lay out priorities and methodically make progress towards the goal.
- Fluency with algorithms and data structures.
- Experience with concurrency or parallelism.
- Experience debugging complex concurrent systems.
- Creativity to come up with proof of concept from high level design while not knowing all the details.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related fields is a must.
- Proven ability to work with a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders.
- Effective communication skills to convey your ideas and drive technical discussions with other engineers.
We'd Love If You Have:
- Professional experience with Rust alternatively but less preferred C++ or Go.
- Familiarity with internals of other blockchains
- Experience in building a blockchain smart contract or running a node in a blockchain network.
- Knowledge of cryptography.
- Knowledge of compilers or virtual machines.
- Knowledge of networks or operating systems.
Here’s What Our Interview Process Looks Like:
Our interviews take place via Zoom and typically consists of the following stages:
- Recruiter Call
- Hiring Manager Call
- 1st Round
- Large System Design Interview
- Technical Presentation Q&A
- Final Round
- Leadership Interview - Technical Leadership and Adaptability
- Near Culture Interview
Benefits & Perks
- Encouraged 20 days of flexible PTO per year, plus your local holidays
- Wellness weeks – 2 weeks of paid company-wide closures
- 100% Paid medical, dental and vision, AD&D and life insurance for US employees, including 85% coverage for dependents, and HSA + FSA options; For non-US employees, 100% Paid private medical coverage available at the highest tiered plan
- Access to licensed therapists and mental health resources through Spill, 100% confidential and paid by Pagoda; plus $75 monthly reimbursement for wellness
- Generous parental leave options; All employees have access to $10,000 in fertility assistance through Carrot
- For US employees, 401(k) retirement plan available (no match)
- Annual company retreats and team offsites (2023 was in Spain; 2022 in Portugal)
- $2,000 Continued Education Reimbursement
- $2,000 Home Office Reimbursement
- Co-working Space Reimbursement
Our Values at Pagoda
Our values express our company culture. Learn more on our careers page.
Pagoda is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, or other legally protected status.
Jobs from our Partners
Other Jobs from Pagoda
There are more than 50,000 engineering jobs:
Subscribe to membership and unlock all jobs
50,000+ jobs from 4,500+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member
🎉 12 people have signed up in the past 7 days.
Overall, over 80% of customers chose to renew their subscriptions after the initial sign-up.
Cancel anytime / Money-back guarantee