Nextdoor is where you connect to the neighborhoods that matter to you so you can belong. Our purpose is to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighborhood they can rely on.
Neighbors around the world turn to Nextdoor daily to receive trusted information, give and get help, get things done, and build real-world connections with those nearby — neighbors, businesses, and public services. Today, neighbors rely on Nextdoor in more than 315,000 neighborhoods across 11 countries
Meet Your Future Neighbors
As an Android Software Engineer at Nextdoor, you’ll join a fast moving team of developers, product managers, and designers who are passionate about using technology to cultivate a kinder world where everyone has a neighbor they can rely on.
The Nextdoor Android team works on features and infrastructure to deliver our values to our members. We care about making an incredible Android app that respects platform conventions and is delightful to use. We’re always trying to move faster and more safely, by adopting the latest practices, such as Kotlin, MVI and GraphQL.
At Nextdoor, we offer a warm and inclusive work environment that embraces a hybrid employment experience, providing a flexible experience for our valued employees.
The Impact You'll Make
We believe in empowering our teams to own all aspects of bringing Nextdoor to life. As such, you’ll get the opportunity to make key contributions across our Android stack - this includes developing and improving our networking, analytics, experiments, modular app structure, and testing infrastructure - in addition to making direct contributions to Nextdoors product.
We believe engineers should have a stake over all aspects of the product - from coming up with the next big ideas to build, through helping set expectations and plan roadmaps, all the way through understanding the impact of new features through rigorous data analysis. As your career at Nextdoor develops, you’ll also get the chance to mentor other team members, and grow your role towards what you’re most passionate about.
What You’ll Bring To The Team
- 5+ years of experience as an Engineer and/or the ability to perform at an advanced level in the domain
- You crave enchanting Nextdoor’s users with delightful, polished and bug-free features, but you know how to ship consistently and quickly
- Desire to mentor junior engineers and enthusiastic about up-leveling our engineering culture
- Strong self-motivation and flexibility with excitement to improve any part of the app, from the UI components to the analytics framework
- You make a point to test your obviously bug-free code with frameworks like JUnit, Mockito, and Espresso - just to be safe
- Participate in in-person Nextdoor events, trainings, off-sites, volunteer days, and other team building exercises
- Build in-person relationships with team members and contribute to the KIND culture that Nextdoor values
- Passionate about Nextdoor’s mission and being a good neighbor
- Expertise in Kotlin and leveraging its features to increase the safety and clarity of our codebase
- Familiar with modern networking stack, such as OkHttp, Retrofit, and GraphQL
- Passion for UI architecture best practices such as MVI and libraries including Coroutines, MvRx, and Jetpack Compose
- Familiar with architecting a large app for efficient modularization and dependency injection via Gradle and Dagger
Compensation, benefits, perks, and recognition programs at Nextdoor come together to create one overall rewards package.
The starting salary for this role is expected to range from $170,000 to $215,000 on an annualized basis, or potentially greater in the event that your 'level' of proficiency exceeds the level expected for the role. Compensation may also vary by geography.
We also expect to award a meaningful equity grant for this role. With equal quarterly vesting, your first vest date would be within the first 3 months of your start date.
Overall, total compensation will vary depending on your relevant skills, experience, and qualifications.
We have you covered! Nextdoor employees can choose between a variety of great health plans. We cover 100% of your personal monthly premium for health, dental, and vision – and provide a OneMedical membership for concierge care.
At Nextdoor, we empower our employees to build stronger local communities. To create a platform where all feel welcome, we want our workforce to reflect the diversity of the neighbors we seek to serve. We encourage everyone interested in our purpose to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, age, or any other trait that unfairly targets a group of people. In accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For information about our collection and use of applicants’ personal information, please see Nextdoor's Personnel Privacy Notice, found here.
Other Jobs from Nextdoor
There are more than 22,000 engineering jobs:
Subscribe to membership and unlock all jobs
39,000+ jobs from 4,300+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member