We Breathe Life Into Data
At Komodo Health, our mission is to reduce the global burden of disease. And we believe that smarter use of data is essential to this mission. That’s why we built the Healthcare Map — the industry’s largest, most complete, precise view of the U.S. healthcare system — by combining de-identified, real-world patient data with innovative algorithms and decades of clinical experience. The Healthcare Map serves as our foundation for a powerful suite of software applications, helping us answer healthcare’s most complex questions for our partners. Across the healthcare ecosystem, we’re helping our clients unlock critical insights to track detailed patient behaviors and treatment patterns, identify gaps in care, address unmet patient needs, and reduce the global burden of disease.
As we pursue these goals, it remains essential to us that we stay grounded in our values: be awesome, seek growth, deliver “wow,” and enjoy the ride. At Komodo, you will be joining a team of ambitious, supportive Dragons with diverse backgrounds but a shared passion to deliver on our mission to reduce the burden of disease — and enjoy the journey along the way.
The Opportunity at Komodo Health
Komodo aims to build the most accessible, actionable collection of healthcare data in the industry. Our diverse clients have a range of familiarity with healthcare technicalities and we strive to provide products designed to be simple enough for a layperson while also allowing power users to explore our data with all the depth and sophistication they require.
As a Software Engineer on Komodo Health’s Platform Compute team, you will be part of the platform services team focusing on our core compute system. This system provides simple to use, cost effective, reliable and performant compute capacity to other platform services as well as our customer applications.
You will enable the execution of complex queries supported through backend APIs, adhere to SLAs, and the necessary optimizations to support diverse access patterns.
Looking back on your first 12 months at Komodo Health, you will have…
- Extended the compute API to support new use-cases, backends and operating models
- Leveraged relevant AWS services (EMR, EKS, etc.) to deliver or enhance compute functionality
- Added to our GitOps pipeline (GitHub actions, ArgoCD, Terraform) and used it to deploy your changes to production
- Partnered with our Product Managers and written design documents to help explain tradeoffs between implementation choices
- Ensured non-functional requirements are met, such as around developer experience, SLAs and maintainability
- Managed technical dependencies between different microservices
- Guided other teams through the adoption of the platform compute service, including optimizing their queries and requests
What you bring to Komodo:
- Experience designing and building backend APIs using Python, for use by other consuming applications which you do not own
- Experience designing and building with AWS - Associate or Professional certification an advantage
- Demonstrate comprehensive programming experience with Python
- Exposure to relevant technologies including some of:
- Hadoop ecosystem: Spark or Trino/Presto
- Modern MPP databases: Snowflake or Redshift
- Other databases: DuckDB, Postgres
- Understanding of design for non-functional concerns such as performance, cost optimization, maintainability and developer experience
- Excellent cross-team communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to initiate and effectively drive projects proactively
Compensation at Komodo Health
We are committed to providing competitive compensation for all roles at Komodo Health. We carefully consider multiple factors when determining compensation, including your skills, experience, and location while balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. The targeted base salary range for the Software Engineer, Backend (Compute) role is $123,900 to $186,300 plus a competitive bonus and equity package.
Where You’ll Work
Komodo Health has a hybrid work model; we recognize the power of choice and importance of flexibility for the well-being of both our company and our individual Dragons. Roles may be completely remote based anywhere in the country listed, remote but based in a specific region, or local (commuting distance) to one of our hubs in San Francisco, New York City, or Chicago with remote work options.
What We Offer
On top of our commitment to providing competitive, fair pay for all roles at Komodo Health, we’re proud to offer robust and inclusive benefits to all Dragons at Komodo Health. We offer global time off programs, extensive internal and external career development and learning opportunities, multiple affinity groups celebrating our team’s diversity, and an annual wellness and productivity stipend to support you in being your healthiest, best self.
Equal Opportunity Statement
Komodo Health provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type with regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.