Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
Want to learn more about what it's like to work at Handshake? Check out these interviews from our team members!
At Handshake, we are assembling a diverse team of dynamic engineers who are passionate about creating high-quality, impactful products. As an ML Infrastructure Engineer, you will play a key role in driving the architecture, implementation, and evolution of our rapidly growing Machine Learning platform. Your technical expertise and leadership will be instrumental in helping millions of students discover meaningful careers, irrespective of their educational background, network, or financial resources.
Our primary focus is on building a robust platform on top of our data platform that empowers our Machine Learning and Relevance teams to develop offline and online model serving capabilities, working across a wide range of technical challenges and deployment strategies.
To excel in this role, you should possess:
- ML Infrastructure Expertise: Proven ability in designing, implementing, and managing, complex Machine Learning pipelines including:
- Feature Store deployment (Online and Offline)
- Real-Time/Nearline Data Workflows in support of low latency inference
- Cluster management and deployment, deployment of GPU based training jobs
- Familiarity with ML feature tools such as Pinecone, Elasticsearch, etc
- Technological Mastery: Deep understanding of ML tools, frameworks, and technologies such as Spark, Pandas, Torch etc., particularly their applications in machine learning.
- Machine Learning Aptitude: Demonstrable experience in applying machine learning techniques to enhance data engineering tasks, with emphasis on model training and deployment.
- Generative AI (LLMs): Familiarity with large language models such as ChatGPT, LLaMa, or Bard for text generation and Natural Language Processing (NLP) tasks.
- Cloud Platform Expertise: Hands-on experience with cloud-based data technologies, preferably Google Cloud Platform (GCP). This includes tools like BigQuery, and Cloud Storage, and a ML stack (Vertex, Ray, or similar) for handling machine learning workflows.
- SQL Mastery: Strong expertise in SQL with significant experience in data modeling and database design principles geared towards optimizing machine learning tasks.
- Problem-Solving Prowess: Outstanding problem-solving skills, with the ability to navigate complex machine learning infrastructure challenges and propose innovative, effective solutions.
- Teamwork Oriented: A collaborative approach to work, coupled with the ability to communicate complex machine learning concepts effectively to both technical and non-technical stakeholders, and take input from relevance stakeholders to guide implementation details
Bonus Areas of Expertise
While not required, expertise in any of the following areas would be highly advantageous:
- Containerization and orchestration: Familiarity with containerization technologies like Docker and container orchestration platforms like Kubernetes.
- Streaming data processing: Experience with streaming data processing platforms such as Apache Beam or Apache Flink
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 750,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. In 2022 we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, London, and Berlin and teammates working globally.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!
What we offer
Benefits below apply to employees in full-time positions.
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰 Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼 16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝 Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻 Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚 Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦 401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦 Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝 Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
For roles based in Berlin and Romania: Please ask your recruiter about region specific benefits.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.