At Groq. We believe in an AI economy powered by human agency. We envision a world where AI is accessible to all, a world that demands processing power that is better, faster, and more affordable than is available today. AI applications are currently constrained by the limitations of the Graphics Processing Unit (GPU), a technology originally developed for the gaming market and soon to become the weakest link in the AI economy.
Enter Groq's LPU™ Inference Engine. Specifically engineered for the demands of large language models (LLMs), the Language Processing Unit outpaces the GPU in speed, power, efficiency, and cost-effectiveness. The quickest way to understand the opportunity is to watch the following talk – groq.link/scspdemo.
Why join Groq? AI will change humanity forever, and we believe preservation of human agency and self determination is only possible if AI is made affordably and universally accessible. Groq’s LPUs will power AI from an early stage, and you will get to leave your fingerprint on civilization.
Backend Software Engineer
About this role:
We are looking for an outstanding Software Engineer, with extensive experience in crafting performant, scalable, software stacks to help design & build a next-generation real-time Cloud for mission-critical ML/HPC applications. As a part of the engineering organization at Groq, you'll be working closely with cross-functional teams across the company and have a huge impact on our ML/AI and HPC Cloud customers.
The ideal candidate will have experience in modern software design methodologies related to cloud technologies (streaming APIs, frontend, and backend), datacenter server platforms, and network protocols. They will also possess knowledge of the best security practices for the entire software stack.
Responsibilities & opportunities in this role:
- Develop a practical understanding of Groq’s ML accelerator solutions, as to enable active participation in the design and creation of a scalable, real-time Cloud service.
- Design and implement backend systems using modern infrastructure frameworks.
- Work closely with front-end teams to ensure tight integration with backend systems.
- Provide test coverage, instrumentation, and documentation for systems implemented.
- Help to implement operations playbooks for Cloud services
- Recommend enhancements and improvements to hardware and systems engineering teams to support features required by the Cloud services.
Ideal candidates have/are:
- Premier software engineering professional with a history of architecting and delivering end-to-end solutions and services for scalable Cloud platforms
- Operate with integrity, drive transparency, willingness, and effective communication. Comfortable engaging colleagues from other teams to provide the best solutions
- Capable of performing performance analysis, tuning, and optimization of backend systems to run tail latency.
- Understanding of security challenges common for cloud/multi-tenant environments and willingness to proactively address them by crafting and implementing standard methodologies
- Passionate about new technologies and is willing to take initiative in fostering and creating proof-of-concepts
Qualifications for this role:
- BS in CE, EE, CS, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years’ experience in software design for cloud-scale, secure systems
- Go (Golang) experience a must have.
- Linux, Docker/Kubernetes, C++, Python, (Bonus: Rust)
- Modern backend service frameworks
- Protocol Buffers, gRPC streaming, & RESTful API transports
- Tail performance-optimized software design patterns (real-time, lock-less, high-concurrency, etc.)
- Excellent multi-functional collaborative and influencing skills.
- Effective communication & presentation skills
- Able to work in a very multifaceted start-up environment
Attributes of a Groqster:
- Humility - Egos are checked at the door
- Collaborative & Team Savvy - We make up the smartest person in the room, together
- Growth & Giver Mindset - Learn it all versus know it all, we share knowledge generously
- Curious & Innovative - Take a creative approach to projects, problems, and design
- Passion, Grit, & Boldness - no limit thinking, fueling informed risk taking
If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
Compensation: The national pay range for our technical roles are $100,000-$500,000. The national pay range for our non-technical roles are $90,000-$470,000. Individual compensation will be commensurate with the candidate’s experience aligned with Groq’s internal leveling guidelines and benchmarks.
Location: Groq is a geo-agnostic company, meaning you work where you are. Exceptional candidates will thrive in asynchronous partnerships and remote collaboration methods. Some roles may require being located near our primary sites, as indicated in the job description.
At Groq: Our goal is to hire and promote an exceptional workforce as diverse as the global populations we serve. Groq is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and belonging in all aspects of our organization. We value and celebrate diversity in thought, beliefs, talent, expression, and backgrounds. We know that our individual differences make us better.
Groq is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. We also take affirmative action to offer employment opportunities to minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and protected veterans.
Groq is committed to working with qualified individuals with physical or mental disabilities. Applicants who would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or who need special assistance or a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process may contact us at: email@example.com. This contact information is for accommodation requests only. Evaluation of requests for reasonable accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. #LI-Remote
Other Jobs from Groq
There are more than 22,000 engineering jobs:
Subscribe to membership and unlock all jobs
39,000+ jobs from 4,300+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member