Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, or Poland. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in the United States or Canada, and they must be able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub(s) where the team is based.
Grammarly is the world’s leading AI writing assistance company trusted by over 30 million people and 70,000 professional teams every day. From instantly creating a first draft to perfecting every message, Grammarly’s product offerings help people at 96% of the Fortune 500 get their point across—and get results. Grammarly has been profitable for over a decade because we’ve stayed true to our values and built an enterprise-grade product that’s secure, reliable, and helps people do their best work—without selling their data. We’re proud to be one of Inc.’s best workplaces, a Glassdoor Best Place to Work, one of TIME’s 100 Most Influential Companies, and one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in AI.
To achieve our ambitious goals, we’re looking for an experienced Software Engineering Lead to join our Platform team. In this role, you will work closely with many engineering and product teams at Grammarly to create and drive the technical vision for our data architecture. Grammarly’s product success depends on our ability to access data in a rapid, convenient but also secure, and compliant manner. Our data use cases span three important categories: analytical data and metrics, data for NLP and AI research as well as serving data for production use to power user-facing features. Each of these use cases has unique challenges in relation to our scale, diversity of business, and product vision.
Grammarly’s engineers and researchers have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product roadmap. The complexity of our technical challenges is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. You can hear more from our team on our technical blog.
As Software Engineering Lead for Data Platform at Grammarly, you will have the opportunity to drive huge impact at a growing company. Grammarly is uniquely positioned to continue defining the digital writing assistant category, but this comes with significant challenges. Our data landscape is complicated due to the nature of our product and the rapid growth the company had. We’re looking for someone who can systematically identify key problem areas, propose solutions, get buy-in from leadership across the organization, and execute predictably by working with the engineering team.
In this role, you will:
- Drive architecture for the Data Platform at Grammarly, including influencing our overall engineering platform strategy.
- Collaborate with cross-functional stakeholders to understand business and product requirements.
- Contribute to product strategy and roadmap discussions.
- Create a technical roadmap that supports our product roadmap.
- Help us make build vs. Buy decisions.
- Identify critical problems to solve and approaches for solving them.
- Introduce new technologies and internal tools to help us build faster.
- Create an engineering culture with a strong emphasis on documentation, testing, and user experience.
- Mentor and coach engineers across the company.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is inspired by our MOVE principles, which are the blueprint for how things get done at Grammarly: move fast and learn faster, obsess about creating customer value, value impact over activity, and embrace healthy disagreement rooted in trust.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Has 10+ years of experience working in a highly scalable SaaS environment on data-related problems.
- Demonstrates a strong track record of leading and influencing large groups of engineers. Leads by example and sets the right context for decisions.
- Has the ability to effectively communicate ideas to others, actively listen in conversations, and give and receive critical feedback.
- Is able to facilitate effective communication between technical and non-technical audiences.
- Has experience partnering closely with product management and is customer-oriented.
- Keeps in mind business and product goals as a foundational component of architectural and technical solutions and investments.
- Is a creative problem-solver who is able to break down complex problems into manageable components.
- Proactively identifies issues, risks, and opportunities.
- Has experience and prefers working on fast-paced teams.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities, such as BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
Compensation and benefits
Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing the following and more:
- Excellent health care (including a wide range of medical, dental, vision, mental health, and fertility benefits)
- Disability and life insurance options
- 401(k) and RRSP matching
- Paid parental leave
- Twenty days of paid time off per year, eleven days of paid holidays per year, and unlimited sick days
- Home office stipends
- Caregiver and pet care stipends
- Wellness stipends
- Admission discounts
- Learning and development opportunities
Grammarly takes a market-based approach to compensation, which means base pay may vary depending on your location. Our US and Canada locations are categorized into compensation zones based on each geographic region’s cost of labor index. For more information about our compensation zones and locations where we currently support employment, please refer to this page. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Base pay may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The expected salary ranges for this position are outlined below by compensation zone and may be modified in the future.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and a participant in the US federal E-Verify program (US). We also abide by the Employment Equity Act (Canada).
Please note that EEOC is optional and specific to US-based candidates.
All team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19.
Jobs from our Partners
Other Jobs from Grammarly
There are more than 50,000 engineering jobs:
Subscribe to membership and unlock all jobs
50,000+ jobs from 4,500+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member
🎉 12 people have signed up in the past 7 days.
Overall, over 80% of customers chose to renew their subscriptions after the initial sign-up.
Cancel anytime / Money-back guarantee