At 2U, we are all in on purpose. We are motivated by our mission – to eliminate the back row in education – and connected by our shared passion to deliver world-class digital education at scale. As the parent company of edX, the world’s leading online learning platform, 2U powers more than 4,000 online higher education offerings – from free courses to full degrees. Together with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporate partners, we are helping to unlock human potential.
What We’re Looking For:
As a Cloud Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining the infrastructure and tools required to support the development, deployment, and operation of applications. You’ll play a crucial role in bridging the gap between development and operations, ensuring efficient and reliable delivery of software products, with a strong focus on the reliability, scalability, and performance of systems. As a senior member of the team, you also provide technical leadership, mentorship, and contribute to the continuous improvement of DevOps practices within the organization.
Responsibilities Include, But Are Not Limited To:
- Design and build state-of-the-art cloud based systems.
- Automate the deployment and configuration of cloud systems.
- Maintain and improve CI and CD pipelines.
- Ensure the availability, performance and scalability of cloud systems.
- Improve the security of cloud systems.
- Evaluate and implement new technologies and products.
- Actively look for ways to improve systems and reduce complexity.
- Improve developer workflow and productivity.
- Understand current systems architecture and drive improvement according to long term company strategic objectives.
- Perform maintenance and enhancements of cloud systems.
- Provision team member access to cloud systems.
- Be available to respond to urgent incidents after hours.
- Work with team members or independently to create effective solutions to business problems.
- Collaborate with business stakeholders to achieve business objectives.
- Understand the roadmap and how current work relates to the strategic goals.
- Communicate progress effectively with team members and business stakeholders.
- Practice effective time management when planning and completing sprints.
- Actively participate in code reviews.
- Give and receive constructive peer feedback.
- Live the company values.
- Drive self-improvement.
- Develop strategic thinking skills.
Things That Should Be In Your Background:
- Degree in engineering, computer science or related field.
- 5-8 years experience in software engineering or DevOps engineering.
- 3 years experience using AWS.
- CI/CD Skills: Extensive experience building, deploying and supporting the automation of software and IaC releases. Examples: GitHub Actions, Buildkite, Jenkins, etc
- Cloud Skills: The ability to architect, develop, and maintain business critical cloud-based systems, ensuring high availability with a strong emphasis on security best practices.
- Key cloud service examples: Kubernetes, Docker, databases, networking, servers (Linux), DNS
Certifications on AWS would be advantageous
- Proactive Monitoring: Experience implementing monitoring tools and practices which have a strong focus on early detection of potential system bottlenecks and anomalies. Examples: Cloudwatch, PagerDuty, Datadog, Splunk, etc
- Automation Skills: Proficiency in scripting and automation tools to streamline processes and infrastructure provisioning. Examples: Bash, Python, Ansible, Terraform, etc
- Infrastructure-as-Code: Familiarity with infrastructure-as-code concepts and tools (e.g., CloudFormation, Terraform) for provisioning and managing infrastructure resources.
- Problem-Solving Abilities: Excellent problem-solving and troubleshooting skills to identify and resolve complex technical issues, methodically and under pressure.
- Soft Skills: Driven and highly motivated by customer (developers, business users, etc) satisfaction, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Benefits & Culture
Our global employee base is a diverse collection of innovators, dreamers, and doers working together to transform lives through higher education. We believe that every employee can advance our shared purpose, and that life at 2U should be fun and meaningful. If you’re excited by the opportunity to provide over 40 million learners and counting with access to world-class online higher education, then join us – and do work that makes a difference. #NoBackRow
We offer comprehensive benefits (unique per country) and excellent work/life balance.
Full-time, ZA benefits include:
- 2 complimentary Getsmarter short courses per year
- Subsidised medical aid with Discovery Health Medical Scheme
- 4% 2U contribution towards Discovery Life Pension Fund and Group Risk Benefit
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Generous leave policy including time off to volunteer for non-profit organization, study leave, sports leave and a company-wide festive season break
2U Diversity and Inclusion Statement
At 2U, we are committed to building and sustaining a culture of belonging, respect, and inclusion. We are proud of the steps we’ve taken to bring together an employee base that embodies diverse walks of life, ideas, genders, ages, races, cultures, sexual orientations, abilities and other unique qualities. We strive to offer a workplace where every employee feels empowered by what makes us different, as well as by how we are alike.
2U is committed to providing reasonable accommodations during our recruitment process. If you need assistance or accommodations, please reach out to us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
About 2U Inc. (NASDAQ: TWOU)
For more than a decade, 2U, Inc. has been the digital transformation partner of choice to great non-profit colleges and universities delivering high-quality online education at scale. As the parent company of edX, a leading global online learning platform, 2U provides over 45 million learners with access to world-class education in partnership with more than 230 colleges, universities, and corporations. Our people and technology are powering more than 4,000 digital education offerings — from free courses to full degrees — and helping unlock human potential. To learn more: visit 2U.com.
edX is the education movement for restless learners and a leading global online learning platform from 2U, Inc. (Nasdaq: TWOU). Together with the majority of the world’s top-ranked universities and industry-leading companies, we bring our community of over 45 million learners world-class education to support them at every stage of their lives and careers, from free courses to full degrees. And we're not stopping there — we're relentlessly pursuing our vision of a world where every learner can access education to unlock their potential, without the barriers of cost or location. Learn more at edX.org.
Learn more at https://2u.com/careers/
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.
2U is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate against applicants or employees and ensures equal employment opportunity for all persons regardless of their race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, age, marital status, disability, citizenship, military or veterans’ status, or any other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local laws. 2U’s equal opportunity policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including but not limited to recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, job benefits and pay.
2U is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas. In this regard, the relevant laws and principles associated with Employment Equity will be considered when appointing potential candidates. We are required by law to verify your ability to work lawfully in South Africa. 2U requires that you submit a copy of either your identity document or your passport and any applicable work permit if you are a foreign national, along with an updated curriculum vitae.
Other Jobs from edX
See 15,000+ More Jobs Like These
Subscribe to weekly membership and unlock all jobs
15,000+ jobs from 2,600+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results