Thank you for your interest in joining Cognite; please note that our Hiring- and Talent Acquisition teams are currently on holiday, and we'll diligently review all applications upon our return in January.
About Cognite and Cogniters
The Product team is the team responsible for developing Cognite Data Fusion as a robust and scalable platform for solving industrial data problems at Cognite. Cognite’s Cognite Data Fusion makes the operational data available at scale and adds value to the data through data processing. This enables asset-intensive industries to make data-driven decisions. Our platform is built on various technologies, each good at solving various challenges.
To build the best possible product, we believe in autonomous teams with developers, product managers and technical program managers working closely together. You will work with a team of highly skilled engineers and a critical Cognite service for time-series data. Time Series data is central to the industrial data ecosystem and the Cognite Data Fusion platform. At Cognite, we have developed a unique Time Series database that scales to tens of trillions of data points and supports consistent, low-latency analytical queries. We use the latest technologies and work closely with end users to iterate quickly towards better product experiences.
Our approach disrupts norms. This Senior Software Engineer role takes root in our Engineering team, embracing collaborative engagements across Security, Infrastructure, and Engineering while maintaining its core within Engineering. We are committed to building up these skill sets by supporting people with interest in growing their knowledge who have experience or passion in SRE, DevOps, database administration, large-scale system administration, distributed systems or other similar roles at the intersection of operations, human factors and software engineering. If you're drawn to operations, human factors, and the crossroads of engineering, this is your invitation.
Our work environment is exciting, dynamic and intense. You will work with the best domain and industry experts: designers, product managers, backend developers, ML engineers, 3D developers and business leaders. We support one another, ask good questions, and give each other constructive feedback. Our goal is to leverage our diverse set of strengths and backgrounds to build innovative products, to think outside the ordinary, and grind through and nurture a great culture. Fueling our vision is the Product team, driving the evolution of Cognite Data Fusion into a robust platform that redefines industrial data challenges. We're at the forefront of transforming asset-intensive sectors for safety, sustainability, and profitability. Cognite Data Fusion transforms operational data, enabling industries to harness the power of data-driven decisions.
Our Stack and Your Canvas
We work with open-source technologies that need to run in multiple cloud environments – both public clouds (Google Cloud Platform, Azure, and AWS) and private clouds with customer-provided Kubernetes.
Managed Kubernetes (GKE, AKS, EKS, Openshift) forms the base on which we build our products. We build on a self-run Foundation DB based scale-out data store for managing time-series data and use PostgreSQL and Elasticsearch. We replicate data to different storage systems to be able to answer different types of queries.
Our backend developer teams work with Kotlin, Java, and Python. CI/CD is handled by combining Github, Jenkins, and Spinnaker to test and deploy code to production. The infrastructure is managed as code with Terraform and Atlantis, and services are monitored using Prometheus, Grafana, and Lightstep.
A typical day as a Cogniter will contain the following tasks & responsibilities
- Join a Cognite development team as an engineer, owning the full cluster lifecycle of our FoundationDB clusters on both public clouds and private Kubernetes deployments.
- Establish and maintain robust reliability engineering to support these clusters, managing aspects like:
- Implement and maintain monitoring solutions using Prometheus and Grafana
- Develop and maintain robust backup and restore processes
- Scale clusters as needed to accommodate demands while optimizing resource utilization
- Upgrades -work closely with the Infrastructure team during Kubernetes upgrades, ensuring no downtime during the update process
- Monitoring and alerting to track the performance and health of FoundationDB clusters
- Maintain up-to-date documentation, including FAQs, troubleshooting guides and best practices documents.
- Capacity forecasting to ensure that FoundationDB can efficiently handle workload
- Manage CVEs for FoundationDB components.
- Actively engage with and contribute to the FDB Kubernetes Operator repository by submitting pull requests for bug fixes and improvements.
- Contribute to reducing cloud costs, increasing efficiency and reducing footprint.
We believe most of these should match you and your experience
- Passion for DevOps, Distributed Systems, or Kubernetes
- Broad experience with DevOps practices such as CI/CD and Infrastructure as code
- Experience with large Cloud deployments on any of AWS, GCP, or Azure; build, test, deploy, and monitor software in a multi-cloud Kubernetes environment.
- Familiar with C++, Golang or other programming languages, jsonnet knowledge, Kubernetes app developer experience, familiarity with operator patterns in Kubernetes
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills; ability to track down information in logs, traces, and metrics and take appropriate action based on findings
- Solid understanding of monitoring tools such as Prometheus and Grafana
- Comfortable working with Open Source community - request features, fix issues
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
Don’t meet every single requirement? We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace, so if you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
A snapshot of our many perks and benefits as a Cogniter
- Competitive salary and benefits include a pension plan, insurance, parental benefits, and more.
- Join an organization of 70 different nationalities 🌐 with Diversity, Equality and Inclusion (DEI) in focus 🤝
- A highly modern and fun working environment with sublime culture across the organization, Follow us on Instagram @cognitedata 📷 to know more.
- Flat structure with direct access to decision-makers, with a minimal amount of bureaucracy
- Opportunity to work with and learn from some of the best people on some of the most ambitious projects found anywhere, across industries
- Join our HUB 🗣️ to be part of the conversation directly with Cogniters and our partners.
- Gain perks like a paid mobile telephone subscription and broadband connection.
- Get access to extended private health services with Aker Care.
- Hungry? We’ve got your back. A subsidized lunch at the canteen is delivered by our chefs who specialise in options for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians, salads and hot soups every day.
- Stay fueled between meals with snacks and drinks on the house.
- Our own Cognite exclusive coffee bar ☕ with the friendliest baristas is here to brew coffee for coffee lovers, tea for tea lovers, smoothie for smoothie lovers, and the baristas' creative concoctions when the mood strikes.
- We take your mental- and physical health seriously by having a broad health offering and a free membership to our fully-staffed gym on-site.
- A pet lover? Get the chance to meet Spot 🐶!
Why choose Cognite? 🏆 🚀
If you're excited about the opportunity to work at Cognite and make a difference in the tech industry, we encourage you to apply today! We welcome candidates of all backgrounds and identities to join our team. Please do not hesitate to contact our Talent Acquisition team with any questions - Amy Ruban at email@example.com.
We encourage you to follow us on Cognite LinkedIn
; we post all our openings there.
Cognite is a global industrial SaaS company that was established with one clear vision: to rapidly empower industrial companies with contextualized, trustworthy, and accessible data to help drive the full-scale digital transformation of asset-heavy industries around the world. Our core Industrial DataOps platform, Cognite Data Fusion™, enables industrial data and domain users to collaborate quickly and safely to develop, operationalize, and scale industrial AI solutions and applications to deliver both profitability and sustainability. Visit us at www.cognite.com and follow us on Twitter @CogniteData or LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/cognitedata
Cognite is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment at work and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive the same level of consideration for employment; everyone we hire will receive the same level of consideration for training, compensation, and promotion.
We ask for gender as part of our application because we want to ensure equal assessment in the recruitment process. Your answer will help us reach this commitment! However, the question about gender is optional and your choice not to answer will not affect the assessment of your application in any way.