Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded media and technology company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable Black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & Gen Z through original content, video, unique experiences, and product solutions. Blavity Inc. has evolved into a market leader for Black media, reaching 250 million users per month through our growing brand portfolio, including Blavity, Blavity360º, Shadow & Act, AfroTech & Talent Infusion, 21Ninety, Travel Noire, and Home & Texture. Our Blavity, Inc. employee community is composed of passionate, energetic, and culturally conscious individuals working together to deliver value to each other, the company, and our clients. We are always searching for new additions to our community that will help us continue to scale, contribute meaningfully to our culture, and advance our strategic direction.
Blavity Inc. is seeking a Staff Software Engineer, Full Stack with a strong background in software engineering, ideally as a Staff Software Engineer or Software Architect, to provide technical guidance and leadership while working closely with our Director of Engineering and the Engineering team. This role is ideal for a seasoned software engineer who excels in strategy, leadership, coaching, and mentorship without directly managing a team.
This role will report directly to our Director of Engineering.
- Collaborate with the Director of Engineering and Engineering team to provide technical guidance and leadership on software engineering best practices
- Work closely with cross-functional stakeholders, including product management, design, and operations to ensure seamless delivery of high-quality software solutions
- Drive the technical direction of the software architecture, design, and development processes, leveraging your background as a Staff Software Engineer or Software Architect
- Mentor and coach engineers to foster a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Participate in code reviews, ensuring the highest standards of quality and efficiency
- Assist in the evaluation and selection of technologies, tools, and third-party partners
- Collaborate with the engineering team to identify and resolve technical challenges and bottlenecks
- Contribute to the improvement of internal processes and documentation to enhance team efficiency and scalability
- Participate in the team’s recruiting efforts such as reviewing technical assessments
- Education: BA
- Required Experience:
- 7+ years of experience in software engineering, including full-stack development and scalable systems
- 3+ years in a technical leadership or senior engineering role, preferably as a Staff Software Engineer or Software Architect
- Strong understanding of software engineering best practices, design patterns, and architectural principles
- Proficient in multiple programming languages and frameworks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effortlessly present to a CXO audience and an engineering group alike
- A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture
- Preferred Experience:
- Previous experience working in high-growth startup, SaaS company and/or recruiting technology company
- Expert in Vue, Java, Node, Wordpress and both relational and non-relational databases
- Significant experience using Google Cloud, AWS and/or Azure
- Knowledge of docker and containerization
- Additional Qualifications:
- Independent, entrepreneurial self-starter who is comfortable taking on a high level of responsibility
- Comfort with ambiguity and a proven love for transforming unorganized/complex data into rigorously structured, insight-oriented solutions
- High-energy, company-first, positive attitude; must be motivated to work hard in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent communication and analytical skills; outgoing and sociable; willing to wear multiple hats
- Naturally detail-oriented, with an obsessive need to document and communicate findings
- A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture
- This is a fully remote role, U.S.- based role. Occasional travel may be required.
- Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Candidates must be available to work in alignment with the Eastern Time Zone.
- The salary range for this role is $140,000 - $170,000.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online at BlavityInc.com/Careers.
Blavity is committed to creating a diverse environment free of discrimination and harassment, and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Blavity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, HIV Status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
Jobs from our Partners
Other Jobs from Blavity
There are more than 50,000 engineering jobs:
Subscribe to membership and unlock all jobs
50,000+ jobs from 4,500+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member
🎉 12 people have signed up in the past 7 days.
Overall, over 80% of customers chose to renew their subscriptions after the initial sign-up.
Cancel anytime / Money-back guarantee