Working at Atlassian
Atlassian can hire people in any country where we have a legal entity. Assuming you have eligible working rights and a sufficient time zone overlap with your team, you can choose to work remotely or from an office (unless it’s necessary for your role to be performed in the office). Interviews and onboarding are conducted virtually, a part of being a distributed-first company.
To help our teams work together effectively, this role is fully remote, but requires you to be located in a US timezone.
We're looking for a Principal Backend Software Engineer to join our team, passionately focused on delivering creative improvements for our engineering teams.
What you'll do:
- Regularly tackle the largest and most complex problems on the team, from technical design to launch
- Deliver solutions that are used by other teams and products
- Determine plans-of-attack on large projects
- Routinely tackle complex architecture challenges and apply architectural standards and start using them on new projects
- Lead code reviews & documentation as well as take on complex bug fixes, especially on high-risk problems
- Set the standard for thorough, meaningful code reviews
- Partner across engineering teams to take on company-wide initiatives spanning multiple projects
- Transfer your depth of knowledge from your current language to excel as a Software Engineer
- Mentor more junior members of the team
- 10+ years experience in multiple hands-on software/technology leadership roles, with end-to-end responsibility through the software development lifecycle
- Bachelor's or Master's degree with a preference for Computer Science degree
- Expertise with one or more prominent languages such as Java, Python, Kotlin, Go, or Scala is required.
- Understanding of SaaS, PaaS, IaaS industry with hands-on experience with public cloud offerings (e.g., AWS, GCP, or Azure)
- Knowledge to evaluate trade-offs between correctness, robustness, performance, space and time
- Practice in mentoring other engineers and influencing decision makers throughout the organization
- Considers the customer impact when making technical decisions
If you've got these skills, even better:
- Experience in Developer Experience or Developer Productivity
- Proficiency in Java or NodeJS
- Experience in at least one additional language
- Experience in CI (Continuous Integration) and CD (Continuous Deployment)
At Atlassian, we tie our base pay ranges to role and level. In the United States, that means your base pay ranges will fall into one of three geographic pay zones depending on your location. Our current base pay ranges for new hires in each zone are:
Zone A: $187,500 - $287,500
Zone B: $168,700 - $258,800
Zone C: $155,600 - $238,700
Within each range, base pay is ultimately determined based on your skills, expertise, and experience. This role may also be eligible for benefits, bonuses, commissions, and/or equity.
Please visit go.atlassian.com/payzones for more information on which locations are included in each of our geographic pay zones. However, please confirm the zone for your specific location with your recruiter.
Our perks & benefits
To support you at work and play, our perks and benefits include ample time off, an annual education budget, paid volunteer days, and so much more.
The world’s best teams work better together with Atlassian. From medicine and space travel, to disaster response and pizza deliveries, Atlassian software products help teams all over the planet. At Atlassian, we're motivated by a common goal: to unleash the potential of every team.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians create our success. To ensure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience, we never discriminate based on race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
To learn more about our culture and hiring process, explore our Candidate Resource Hub.
Collaboration Enterprise Software SaaS Software