- Deep ownership of turbomachinery from design to flight.
- Development and qualification of turbomachinery for liquid rocket engines.
- Knowledgeable hydrodynamic and / or aerodynamic design of pumps/ turbines for high power density machines.
- Knowledgeable of turbopump mechanical elements such as mechanical seals, cryogenic bearings, secondary flows, and rotor thrust control features.
- Structural and modal analysis of stationary and rotating components. Basic static structural, LCF, and HCF.
- Basic fundamentals of rotordynamics
- Mechanical design of additive manufactured housings and high precision rotating parts. Detailed drawings and basic GD&T.
- Manufacturing and build support as required.
- Willingness to support all ABL test sites as required.
- Min 7+ years of turbomachinery product lifecycle development experience
- Experience In liquid rocket turbomachinery
- Experience in taking a product through a full development cycle from concept to delivery
- Design and test experience of rotating machinery
- Bachelor's engineering or Physics from accredited university
- Experience In cryogenic fluids.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Concepts Tools such as Pumpal, Axial, Axcent
- XLROTOR or Dyrobes
- Bearing Design and Analysis
- Ansys Structural and Fluids or equivalent
- Experience with Siemens NX CAD packages
- Python (preferred) or equivalent
- Incompressible and compressible fundamentals
- A self-starter with the ability to work in a dynamic environment
- Excellent technical communication
What We Look For:
- 1. Critical thinking: ABL engineers understand the "why" behind all design decisions, operational events and test outcomes.
- 2. Ability to deal with ambiguity: there is no roadmap and ABL engineers must be comfortable defining their own pathway to an objective.
- 3. End-to-end ownership: projects are delivered fully complete and ready for flight; there is no one to pick up the slack of partially complete work.
Physical Requirements/Work Environments:
- Ability to sit or stand for extended periods of time
- Ability to life 50 pounds with reasonable accommodations
- Ability to use a computer to complete assignments
- Ability to communicate with individuals and groups in person, by phone and telepresence
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee will typically work in an office environment.
- Willingness to travel to various ABL sites to support testing, launching, and refurbishment ( 20% of the year)
Other Jobs from ABLSpaceSystems
There are more than 22,000 engineering jobs:
Subscribe to membership and unlock all jobs
39,000+ jobs from 4,300+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member with 1 day free trial