The MarTech, Data and Machine Learning Engineering team is responsible for building Wayfair's class leading, data centric technology platform that optimizes and powers all of Wayfair's advertising. It touches hundreds of millions of consumers and drives billions of dollars in annual revenue. Our platforms allow us to scale our marketing efforts efficiently by automating key processes, interacting with ad vendors in real time and leveraging hundreds of terabytes of data and ML algorithms for optimization and effective decision making on millions of items in our catalog. The types of systems built by this team range from low latency REST and Graph QL APIs, to streaming systems processing billions of daily events in real time to large scale batch systems.
The Event Exchange team is composed of platforms aimed at empowering every Wayfair team with high-quality data. It accomplishes this through ingesting, organizing, and activating data in a scalable fashion. The platform was born out of an original mission to produce insights that would power a single view of the customer for far-reaching purposes from personalization to predicting behaviors to analytics. Today, those same tools have grown to ingest any type of data (product, customer, order, etc.) in real-time, support any type of prediction (e.g. shipping times, best email send time, class affinity), and activate that data in all the ways teams desire to consume it. This role is for a Frontend Engineer focused on creating tools responsible for empowering event data producers and consumers via tools for event registration, metadata management and monitoring.
Bengaluru is home to our brand new, strategic technology delivery center and will be critical to achieving our future growth plans. We are looking for best in class Engineers to come in and help scale our technical products and teams alike as we continue on our path to be the world’s number one online destination for the home. As one of the early members of the team here in our strategic technology delivery center, you will partner closely with our technology and business leaders from around the world to help build the platform to support our growth plans to $50B USD and beyond in the next 3 to 5 years.
The team in the Bengaluru delivery center can work across multiple domains that drive speed and convenience for the customer and cost efficiency across the full value chain. The work we do at Wayfair means we have to move quickly, collaborating with the best and brightest engineers, creatives, product managers, data scientists, and analysts to discover, build, and scale world-class software products.
If you love to solve real business problems at scale, in a fast-paced, high growth and agile environment, this is the role for you!
About the Role:
As an Engineering Manager, you will have significant responsibility and influence in shaping the newly formed Data Engineering team’s strategic direction and deliverables. You will flex your leadership, organizational and talent development skills to build a talented team that delivers global impact. This role is inherently multi-functional, and the ideal candidate will work with Data Scientist, Machine Learning and Analytics teams and their leaders across the company, as well as all other Data Engineering squads at Wayfair. We are looking for someone with a love for data, handling ambiguous requirements and the ability to iterate quickly. Successful candidates will have strong leadership, engineering and communication skills with a belief that data-driven processes lead to phenomenal products.
What you'll do:
- Build and grow Data Engineering team presence in India from scratch.
- Play a key role in developing and driving a multi-year technology and organizational strategy for the Data Engineering team to deliver the greatest value to our customers.
- Play a key role in defining and developing the data architecture and data solution roadmap for the search and recs functional areas.
- Architect the data lake, data pipelines, reporting, dashboarding, data exploration, processes and quality controls.
- Own the entire search and recs petabyte scale dataset, from generation to consumption.
- Keep current on big data and data visualization technology trends, evaluate and make recommendations on the technologies based on their merit.
- Manage and mentor associates; ensure the team is being challenged, exposed to new opportunities, and learning, while still being able to deliver on ambitious goals.
- Develop a technical center of excellence through training, mentorship, and process innovation.
- Architect and implement a monitoring and alerting approach to enable exposure of Service Level Indicators (SLIs) and exposure/adherence to Service Level Objectives (SLOs)
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor/Master degree in Computer Science or related technical subject area.
- Minimum 10+ years of professional hands on experience in data engineering, data science or a similar role
- Minimum of 5+ years of people management experience (experience building a team, a plus)
- Significant experience leading data architecture projects and driving decisions related to cloud data platforms and big-data pipelines.
- Strong knowledge of batch and streaming systems, workflow orchestration, monitoring and testing i.e,. Spark, Hadoop, Airflow, Kafka etc.
- Experience in data modeling for traditional relational databases and/or data warehouses and/or data lakes, etc.
- Experience with developing data architectures to support ML and DS needs.
- Strong familiarity with Analytics engineering best practices
- Strong experience with governing data security and compliance
- Proactively own multiple responsibilities - technology, practices, people, etc
- Strong leadership skills necessary to manage and develop a team
- Solid experience in Agile/Lean practices and working closely with product management
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, strong business acumen, critical thinking, and ability to work cross functionally through collaboration with engineering and business partners.
What we’d love to see (but isn’t required)
- Experience architecting data solutions utilizing Bl tools like Looker, Tableau, AtScale, PowerBI, DataStudio or any similar tools.
- Experience in eCommerce
Assistance for Individuals with Disabilities
Wayfair is fully committed to providing equal opportunities for all individuals, including individuals with disabilities. As part of this commitment, Wayfair will make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified individuals with disabilities, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship on business operations. If you require a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, please let us know by completing our Accomodations for Applicants form.
About Wayfair Inc.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic.
We are interested in retaining your data for a period of 12 months to consider you for suitable positions within Wayfair. Your personal data is processed in accordance with our Candidate Privacy Notice (which can found here: https://www.wayfair.com/careers/privacy). If you have any questions regarding our processing of your personal data, please contact us at email@example.com. If you would rather not have us retain your data please contact us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Jobs from Wayfair
See 15,000+ More Jobs Like These
Subscribe to weekly membership and unlock all jobs
15,000+ jobs from 2,600+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results