Voltus’ mission is to be the Distributed Energy Platform that fulfills the promise of the energy transition. The Voltus platform connects any distributed energy resource (DER) to any energy market across the US and Canada, providing flexibility, reliability, and resilience to the grid while generating revenue for our partners. By partnering with industry leaders and the DER ecosystem, we are building the decarbonized, distributed, decentralized, and digitized energy system of the future.
Voltus is a remote and virtual company, distributed across US, Canada, and abroad with many team members in New York, San Francisco, Boston, Toronto, Chicago, Los Angeles, Washington, DC and other cities.
This role is remote, however you must be within 4 hours of North American Eastern Time - GMT-1 to GMT-9.
About the Role
The Customer Experience team is responsible for building customer facing web applications and tools to allow customers to analyze their energy usage and maximize their performance and earnings as a virtual power plant.
We are looking for an experienced backend product engineer to work on our core customer facing features - including: streaming and analyzing real-time energy usage, modeling complex energy assets in a way that is digestible to a customer, and tools to help customers curtail on time and understand their performance, just to name a few.
You’ll work closely with our Product team to define and scope projects, and you’ll work closely with our frontend engineers and designers to make our applications come to life. You’re interested in diving into the detailed world of the energy industry and would jump at the opportunity to. You are bright, gritty, and good, and you want to work with others like you.
What You'll Do
- Build reliable and scalable distributed applications written in Python and/or Go
- Work collaboratively with the Product team and other engineers to scope project requirements and create technical specifications
- Define and build abstractions and data models to convert our energy-specific data models into data that customers can understand and act on
- Mentor junior engineers and provide feedback and guidance on technical work
- Contribute to shared tooling and infrastructure
- Increase the health and maintainability of our codebase
What's Important to Us
- Self initiated and curious, someone who is always looking for ways to improve our applications and infrastructure.
- Can work independently and thoughtfully allocate time among projects.
- Communicates well with others, especially important in a remote team.
- Interested in building positive and welcoming engineering culture.
- Cares about the environmental impact of reduced energy use.
- Interested in learning more about the energy industry.
- Experience working in an agile, team environment.
Skills We're Looking For
- Experience building production systems in Python, Go, or a similar high level language
- Experience modeling complex data in RDBMS (we use Postgres)
- Familiar with microservice architecture, including service to service communications and streaming platforms like Kafka
- Familiarity with Docker and an orchestration system like Nomad
- Experience building for SPA’s (Single Page Applications - ours is written in React)
$150,000 - $175,000 a year
Compensation: Base pay is $150,000-$175,000 annually, commensurate with experience, with 10% bonus paid semi-annually, and equity. Voltus also offers a range of benefits including: unlimited leave for full-time employees, parental leave, and a comprehensive benefits package to promote health, wellness, and financial security.
At Voltus, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer because we recognize that a diverse organization begins with a diverse candidate pool. This means we do not tolerate discrimination of any kind and are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of your gender identity, race, nationality, religion, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or marital status.
Energy Energy Efficiency Energy Management Oil and Gas Power Grid Smart Building