SPAN develops products that accelerate the rapid adoption of renewable energy in the home. The flagship SPAN Smart Panel is the first true evolution for the traditional home electric panel, harnessing enhanced technology for metering, monitoring, and control. An expanded product suite of intelligent, integrated solutions radically lowers the cost and complexity of energy upgrades–including solar, batteries and EVs–empowering homeowners to be active, resilient and informed players in the energy market.
We are seeking a backend software engineer to join our team building the cloud-based glue that gives our users access to the rich information and controls provided by the Span Panel. Our system collects a large volume of energy monitoring data that needs to be stored, processed, and exposed in different ways for different end-users. We're also opening up never before available levels of control of the energy in the home that need to be accessed in secure and easy-to-use APIs.
You’ll join our cloud software engineering team and work with other engineers including mobile, device (firmware), and systems software teams. Working with the team you’ll lead the design and implementation of systems that integrate our hardware, mobile apps, dashboards, and external APIs. You'll work with product owners and other engineers to build features from start to finish. Since the team is small you'll quickly become the go-to person for features you work on.
- Design and develop new features and subsystems in the Span Cloud to support a variety of end-users
- Work cross-functionally with product and design teams to learn about our customers, identify solutions and develop the features that solve their needs
- Collaborate between firmware, frontend, and backend engineers on projects to seamlessly build a cohesive product
- Work in our TypeScript cloud with GraphQL and REST APIs communicating with IoT devices over AWS tools and MQTT
- Designing APIs and data specifications for internal and external users
- 3+ years of experience as a backend engineer with a track record of taking ownership of projects and features.
- Collaborating with engineers from multiple domains to complete projects.
- Building Cloud-native systems on platforms like AWS, GCP, Azure (we use AWS).
- Collaborating with coworkers in shared codebase using industry-standard tools and processes including type systems, linting, and unit testing
- Understanding engineering principles and processes to design robust, scalable, and resilient systems
- We would love to hire someone with experience working in one or more of the following areas:
- Internet of Things (IoT) products (e.g. AWS IoT, Google Cloud IoT, something homegrown) or other hardware components to the product
- AWS SaaS and IaaS offerings
- Docker-based deployments
- Python, especially data science packages
- A variety of different datastores (e.g. SQL and NoSQL, key-value stores, document stores)
- GraphQL APIs
- Products with a rich mobile app
- Infrastructure as code tools like Terraform
Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for the location this role is based during the hiring process.
Life at SPAN
SPAN embraces diversity and equal opportunity in a serious way. We are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills.
Headquartered in San Francisco’s vibrant SoMa neighborhood, we are an eclectic group of creative thinkers who value open communication, teamwork, and a ‘make it happen’ approach to addressing complex challenges.
We’re hiring talented individuals who are driven by success and are passionate about shaping the future of renewable energy. If that sounds like you, we’d love for you to consider joining the rapidly growing team at SPAN.
⚡ Competitive compensation + equity grants at a well-funded, venture-backed company
⚡ Comprehensive benefits (including medical; dental, vision, life and disability insurance)
⚡ Comfortable, sunny office space located near BART and Caltrain public transit
⚡ Strong focus on teambuilding and company culture (events, meet-ups, clubs)
⚡ Flexible hours and unlimited PTO
Interested in joining our team? Submit an application today and we’ll be in touch with next steps!