SpaceX was founded under the belief that a future where humanity is out exploring the stars is fundamentally more exciting than one where we are not. Today SpaceX is actively developing the technologies to make this possible, with the ultimate goal of enabling human life on Mars.
SOFTWARE ENGINEER (MATERIALS ENGINEERING)
The materials engineering team develops the next-generation numerical modeling tools, process monitoring powered by machine learning technologies, and advanced alloys that accelerates manufacturing processes across the company. In particular, the materials numerical modeling group needs to handle information at large scale and extend well beyond off the shelf solutions. As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to SpaceX’s needs with opportunities to switch teams and projects as you and our fast-paced business grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership qualities and be enthusiastic to take on new problems across the full-stack as we continue to push technology forward.
- Develop web applications for use across SpaceX to assist and accelerate the development of next generation vehicles
- Work closely with simulation and machine learning experts to surface results to users
- Deep dive into your users’ problems to find and create efficient solutions
- Bring your voice to the table in team collaborations on architecture, design, and code reviews
- Write and test product or system development code
- Participate in, or lead design reviews with peers and stakeholders to decide amongst available technologies
- Review code developed by other developers and provide feedback to ensure best practices (e.g., style guidelines, checking code in, accuracy, testability, and efficiency)
- Contribute to existing documentation or educational content and adapt content based on product/program updates and user feedback
- Triage product or system issues and debug/track/resolve by analyzing the sources of issues and the impact on hardware, network, or service operations and quality
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, physics, math or STEM discipline and 2+ years of software development experience; OR 4+ years of professional experience building software in lieu of a degree
- Experience in full stack development
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Programming experience in Python, C#, C++, Go or similar object-oriented language
- Experience building intuitive web applications to display data insights
- Experience building single page web applications
- Expertise in designing multi-system software
- Experience with version control, testing, continuous integration, build, deployment, and monitoring
- Experience profiling and improving systems performance
- Expertise with web development frameworks such as Flask, SQLAlchemy and FastAPI
- Experience building dynamic data-intensive web applications with web sockets
- Web data visualization, plotting and animation frameworks such as plotly.js and three.js with special consideration to large/heavy datasets
- Database experience with PostgreSQL, SQL Server, or similar database technologies
- Good understanding of statistics, machine learning algorithms and frameworks
- Experience with Linux applications and server components
- Experience working with in-stream data processing using Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, or similar technologies
- Experience building computer vision annotation tools such as CVAT and frameworks like opencv
- Ability to work extended hours and weekends as necessary
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS:
Software Engineer/Level II: $140,000.00 - $170,000.00/per year
Your actual level and base salary will be determined on a case-by-case basis and may vary based on the following considerations: job-related knowledge and skills, education, and experience.
Base salary is just one part of your total rewards package at SpaceX. You may also be eligible for long-term incentives, in the form of company stock, stock options, or long-term cash awards, as well as potential discretionary bonuses and the ability to purchase additional stock at a discount through an Employee Stock Purchase Plan. You will also receive access to comprehensive medical, vision, and dental coverage, access to a 401(k) retirement plan, short & long-term disability insurance, life insurance, paid parental leave, and various other discounts and perks. You may also accrue 3 weeks of paid vacation & will be eligible for 10 or more paid holidays per year. Exempt employees are eligible for 5 days of sick leave per year."
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about the ITAR here
SpaceX is an Equal Opportunity Employer; employment with SpaceX is governed on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
Applicants wishing to view a copy of SpaceX’s Affirmative Action Plan for veterans and individuals with disabilities, or applicants requiring reasonable accommodation to the application/interview process should notify the Human Resources Department at (310) 363-6000.