About the Role:
We are looking for a Database Reliability Engineer to work on our core Infrastructure team. You will partner with our development and data science teams to both monitor and improve database performance - both MySQL and PostgreSQL. You’ll socialize the knowledge you bring to all teams you work with, and level up the engineering organization in our ability to manage and use the database as effectively as possible.
Sezzle is a cutting-edge fintech company whose mission is to financially empower young consumers. Only one in three millennials own a credit card, and the vast majority of millennials possess a subprime credit score or no score at all. To address these problems, Sezzle has built a payment platform that increases purchasing power for consumers by offering interest-free installment plans at online stores. This increase in purchasing power for consumers leads to increased sales and basket sizes for the thousands of eCommerce merchants that currently work with Sezzle.
What Makes Working at Sezzle Awesome?
At Sezzle, we are more than just brilliant engineers, passionate data enthusiasts, out-of-the-box thinkers, and determined innovators; we are skilled musicians, yogis, cyclists, chefs, golfers, dog-lovers, and rock-climbers. We believe in surrounding ourselves with not only the best and the brightest individuals, but those that are unique and purpose-driven in all that they do. Our culture is not defined by a certain set of perks designed to give the illusion of the traditional startup culture, but rather, it is the visible example living in every employee that we hire.
- Improve AWS Aurora RDS MySQL database reliability and performance.
- Build tooling and dashboards for developers and data scientists to self-serve database concerns, or monitor the performance of their workloads.
- Help development teams optimize and safely run migrations on large tables (billions of records).
- Help development teams analyze and fix capacity planning concerns.
- Help the data engineers and data science team effectively use AWS DMS and Redshift (PostgreSQL) for analysis and product facing features.
- Assist product developers in debugging and triaging production database issues.
- Be the first line of defense for our operational environments, triaging and resolving problems as they occur. You will be on an on-call rotation.
- Help design and scale platform and data architectures to sustain rapid user growth.
- Level up the teams through pairing, code review, and mentoring.
- Bring and share with our team extensive experience with industry best practices in database development, reliability, and scaling.
- At least 6 years experience in a mix of DBA, DBRE, SRE, or Developer roles.
- Deep knowledge of SQL, as well as deep experience dealing with production MySQL and PostgreSQL deployments.
Ideal Skills & Experience:
- A good mix of social and technical skill sets. You can help troubleshoot and teach at the same time.
- Deeper experience with MySQL and PostgreSQL, and the AWS services providing them - Aurora, RDS, Redshift.
- Background in production-level monitoring and the troubleshooting of MySQL databases.
- Experience building out tooling for developers and data engineers, and data scientists.
- Experience in ETL pipelines using Python and Open-source tools such as DBT.
- Experience in 3rd party data analysis tools
- A+ character. We are team-first here at Sezzle.
- A hard-working mentality. It’s early and there is still a lot to build.
- An excellent communicator.
- A fun attitude. Life’s too short. We can have fun while we work hard on cool things.
- Smarts. We need people that are smart enough to make decisions on their own and also smart enough to know when they need input from others.
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Generous stock options
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Life and long term disability insurance
- 401k with 100% match
- Collaborative workspace, commuter benefits, full-stocked kitchen, weekly lunches and much more!
- The opportunity to join Minneapolis’s fastest growing startup alongside a team of motivated and driven individuals
Sezzle provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information or characteristics, marital status, familial status, veteran or military status, status regarding public assistance, membership or activity in a local commission, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Sezzle recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting our mission.
The compensation range for the role is $6,000 - $8,000 USD Monthly base gross salary as a contractor (inclusive only of base salary, and exclusive of other potential competitive benefits). Our ranges are very broad to accommodate all types of candidates and encourage growth. Specific compensation offered to a candidate may be dependent on factors such as education, experience, qualifications, and alignment with market data. Exceptional candidates may receive salaries outside of the posted ranges.
Other Jobs from Sezzle
See 15,000+ More Jobs Like These
Subscribe to weekly membership and unlock all jobs
15,000+ jobs from 2,600+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member