About the Opportunity
As an early engineer at Settle you will help define and build impactful and results oriented systems, products and features. We have great product market fit, organic growth, and a long term road map. Now we’re looking for generalist backend and fullstack product-minded engineers who can can take our business to the next level. Someone who thinks long term to design the foundational systems we'll be using for the next 5 years but who also knows how to avoid scope creep and deliver incremental value quickly. Who knows how to drive projects to completion and can fluidly communicate their ideas and progress with both technical and non-technical colleagues. Who thinks iteratively, moves quickly, and puts the customer at the center of everything they do.
How You'll Make an Impact
- Design and build data models, services, and APIs to power our webapp.
- Utilize heuristics, automation, and machine learning to streamline customer facing workflows, internal underwriting decisions, and fraud detection.
- Scale and secure our systems to support an increasing number of users, features, business requirements, partners, and engineers.
- Collaborate with the team to build robust testing and deployment frameworks.
What Sets You Apart
- CS fundamentals plus real-world experience. 2+ years of industry experience preferred. You have prior experience and/or fluency in an OOP language, ideally with an ORM framework like Django or Hibernate, and a willingness to learn Ruby on Rails (our primary backend language).
- Webapp architecture design. The design choices we make today will form the foundation of our tech for years to come. You have an end-to-end understanding of how everything fits together from infrastructure up through display and love designing reliable and extensible systems.
- Adaptability. We’re a startup and project needs can change quickly. You’re someone that loves to jump into a new problem, learn what’s needed, and solve it.
- Customer-centric mentality. You care about the user, strive to understand their needs, and build tools to solve their problems.
- Leadership. With rapid growth, we need and expect everyone to be a leader. You have the humility and self-awareness to understand and navigate the unknown. You hold yourself and others to a high bar. You enjoy mentoring and growing other engineers.
Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Information Systems or similar
Settle can sponsor visa transfers for qualified candidates.
This role has an annual starting salary range of $120,000 - $250,000 + equity + benefits. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide array of factors including but not limited to your individual skills and experience.
Who We Are
Settle is a FinTech company on a mission to help businesses thrive by taking the worry out of cash flow management. We’re building software making it super easy for finance teams to track, pay, and reconcile invoices. We pair that with lending products to offer our customers the power and flexibility to choose who, when, and how to pay their customers.
Our small but growing team was founded in San Francisco along with an engineering hub in Lviv, Ukraine. We’re building a fully distributed team and support you working from wherever you are. We're well funded (Series-B) with backing by Ribbit, Stripes, Kleiner Perkins, Founder’s Fund, SciFi Ventures, and others. Our benefits are competitive, our time off is flexible, and our compensation packages include equity.
Our Commitment to You
At Settle we know that cultivating diversity and fostering an inclusive work environment is critical to our impact and success. We create an environment where no individual is advantaged or disadvantaged because of their background. We offer equal opportunity employment regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability status, age, marital status, or protected veteran status.
With a commitment to maintaining a bias-free environment in which harassment is prohibited, we respect cultural diversity and comply with the laws of the places in which we operate. We expect our business partners, suppliers, clients, and all of our team members to uphold these commitments.