Playbook leads at the intersection of the creator economy and digital fitness — our goal is to build the world’s most incredible user experience and marketplace where a user can access the content, knowledge, and community from today’s best content creators in fitness, wellness, and sports for one low subscription cost via the Playbook consumer apps for iOS and Android (4.9/5 stars with over 12,000 organic reviews)
We accomplish this by building the world's best tools for creators so they can publish content on their terms and have full ownership over their business. We built a “business in a box” via our Playbook Creator app that serves as an end-to-end business tool — content creation, analytics, community engagement, etc.
We believe creators are the most valuable piece of the supply chain in digital fitness and wellness, so we aim to maximize their ownership and income potential by empowering them with world-class technology, data, and services.
About the Role:
We are looking for an experienced (5+ years), self-motivated Senior Backend Engineer to join our consumer-facing team. You will work directly with our Mobile and Product teams to develop new features that delight our users and enhance existing ones to scale. Playbook is an American company with the Product and Engineering team mostly based in Europe, you will be working fully remotely in a distributed team following a Central Europe schedule.
- Collaborate with our Mobile and Product teams to bring new and exciting initiatives to life in our products, both for Consumers (that will be using the app to connect with trainers to achieve their fitness goals) as well as with the Creators (coaches and trainers that use Playbook as the platform to empower their businesses).
- Build highly scalable and reliable AWS microservices, mostly with TypeScript and Node.js (NestJS) on an event driven, microservices architecture.
- Adopt our engineering best practices (peer review, testing, retrospectives, test coverage, etc.) and propose changes to increase automation, efficiency and quality.
- Keep data in mind and embed calls to our analytics platforms in every feature we develop to track impact and help us understand how to further improve our product.
- Be part and contribute to the engineering culture of Playbook! We foster a culture based on respect, collaboration, personal growth and engineering best practices.
- 5+ years of relevant experience as a software engineer, ideally with experience in some complex/interesting projects you designed and implemented (for example 24/7 systems with different types of databases, queues, events, microservices and monolith, etc).
- Required previous experience with Node (we use mainly Typescript over NestJS), microservices, relational databases (we use Postgres) and the cloud (we run on AWS, with all services running serverless on ECS and Lambdas). Extra kudos if you have experience with IaC (Terraform), NoSQL and event-driven architecture.
- You put into action solid best practices, and enjoy helping the rest of the team acquire and follow them, but at the same time you follow a pragmatic approach. You understand technology always serves the purpose of having a real product used by real users, and keep this as the main decision driver.
- You have excellent communication skills in both verbal and written English. You enjoy talking with other teams (Product, Mobile, Marketing, Business) to achieve the required coordination to create and support a great product. This is a fully remote role, you should be comfortable working in a distributed team with a lot of async communications.
- You are comfortable with a high level of agency. We value creativity and a bias towards action, so we try to empower our engineers as much as possible to do great work!
- You hate having to do the same thing twice, and always push for automation whenever possible.
- You want to be part of a creative collective working to improve the health and wellness space.
- Fully remote role in a company with a strong international culture with members in the U.S., Poland, Spain, Denmark, Netherlands, and more.
- Our culture is driven by trust and autonomy - you will have a big impact on a product with users worldwide.
- Competitive salary (including equity and benefits).
- Flexible PTO, you can take vacation when you need it.
- Membership to Playbook — access to 60,000+ premium fitness workouts.
- Apple equipment.
Playbook has raised over $17M from top VCs and many high-profile executives and founders such as Michael Ovitz (founder of CAA), Ed Baker (former head of growth at Uber), Daniel Graf (former head of product at Uber), Ryan Hoover (Product Hunt founder), Alex Chung (Giphy founder), Renaud Visage (Eventbrite co-founder), Melody McCloskey (StyleSeat founder), and more.
Other Jobs from Playbook
See 15,000+ More Jobs Like These
Subscribe to weekly membership and unlock all jobs
15,000+ jobs from 2,600+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results