Niantic’s Augmented Reality (AR) Mapping team seeks a Computer Vision Software Engineer to help build and scale our AR platform pushing the frontiers of Computer Vision and Machine Learning. We’re a highly collaborative and engaging team, working to help algorithms evolve from concept to production at scale, and this is your chance to join us in our journey to map the world. We are all passionate about innovation, so we’re looking for engineers who want to learn and ship products that “inspire people to explore the world together”.
Niantic leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies while creating engaging apps for a user base in the billions.
- Design, develop and maintain production computer vision systems that are used to improve Niantic’s AR capabilities for the delight of our users.
- Collaborate multi-functionally with products, operations and other engineering teams to ship advanced computer vision solutions to enable new AR experiences.
- Optimize complexity and time of solutions to make the best use of current technologies in cloud and/or mobile.
- Write high performance code, debug solutions to complex problems that span systems, prioritize tasks effectively, and efficiently to meet agreed timelines.
- Work with Niantic’s research team to invent, evaluate and help productionise solutions to push the boundaries of what can be done today in AR.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- Required in-office 2 days on Tuesday and Thursday.
- PhD-level qualification in CV/ML or MSc in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field.
- 3+ years of software development experience or equivalent experience.
- Experience writing production code in Python and/or C++.
- Strong understanding of computer vision, machine learning and related concepts.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- 3D Reconstruction, SLAM or Structure-from-Motion,
- Visual-inertial odometry, LiDAR-inertial odometry or sensor fusion,
- GPS-assisted geo-registration of images, videos or maps using multiple sensors (e.g., GNSS/RTK receivers, INS modules).
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice.
- Experience working on cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- Experience with deep learning feature matching, mapping and relocalization methods (e.g. LightGlue, DSAC*, HLoc)
- Experience developing performance and quality metrics, designing for distributed computing and large-scale systems in the cloud (e.g., GCP, Kubernetes, Argo, Ray, MapReduce, Spanner, AWS, etc.).
- Experience working with software engineering standards including automated testing, containerisation, VCS, continuous integration (CI) and MLOps.
- Experience with ROS in robotics or hardware projects.
- Crafting algorithms for specialized hardware architectures (e.g., CUDA, DSP, SIMD, fixed-point arithmetics, GPGPU, etc.).
- Publication track record at conferences such as CVPR, NeurIPS, ECCV, ICCV, ISMAR, ICML, SIGGRAPH, IROS or ICRA.
The total compensation package for this position includes a new hire offer base salary range of £87,000 - £97,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Individual pay within this salary range is determined by work location and additional factors, including assessed job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can answer any questions about new hire total compensation during the hiring process. An overview of benefit offerings for your location can be found on the careers page.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic's global-scale augmented reality platform and digital map powers spatial computing experiences in the real world. Incubated out of the Maps team at Google, Niantic first created Ingress and then Pokémon GO, a cultural phenomenon and hit game played by tens of millions of people each month. Niantic’s Lightship platform, which powers Pokémon GO, also supports the company's other games including Pikmin Bloom, Peridot and Monster Hunter Now. Developers use Niantic’s platform to build their own AR applications and experiences, either with the Lightship Platform or directly through the web with 8th Wall.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration fosters creativity, a sense of community, and is critical to our future success as a company. Our hybrid work schedules allow for a mix of remote and in-office work.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Bellevue, Kansas, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, Hyderabad, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID
Other Jobs from Niantic
See 15,000+ More Jobs Like These
Subscribe to weekly membership and unlock all jobs
15,000+ jobs from 2,600+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member