As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
• Member Safety: Our top priority is to build an authentic, equitable, and respectful community
• Diversity: We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members
• Authenticity + Collaboration: We encourage authenticity to nurture a trustworthy, collaborative environment
• Big Ideas: We champion and rally behind big ideas, empowering people to to think and act differently and to be unafraid of having a strong point of view
• Innovation: We never stand still; we’re inspired to build for what’s next, and we must constantly innovate, experiment, and learn
The Engineering team is responsible for building innovative features and resilient systems that bring people together. We're always experimenting with new features to engage with our members. Although we are a high-scale tech company, the member-to-engineer ratio is very high—making the level of impact each engineer gets to have at Tinder enormous.
Recommendations ML team is responsible for the development of machine learning models and systems for recommendation applications. Recommendation algorithms directly control who can be matched together in Tinder, and optimize the whole ecosystem. You'll have a unique opportunity to join a company with a global footprint while working on a team that’s small enough for you to feel the impact each day.
Where you’ll work: This role can be based in Palo Alto, CA.
In this role, you will:
- Work with big data (1.6B+ user swipes per day)
- Work on exciting problems for recommendations to improve the user experience
- Develop data-driven approaches to understand user profiles
- Design and implement state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms in distributed machine learning frameworks such as Spark
- PhD or MS in machine learning, computer science, statistics or other highly quantitative fields
- At least 5 years of professional experience
- Hands-on experience in designing and building highly scalable distributed ML models
- Proficiency in Python, SQL
- Proficiency in deep learning framework: Tensorflow, Keras, etc.
Nice to have:
- In-depth knowledge of deep neural networks, classification techniques, computer vision, natural language processing
- Experience with big data frameworks such as Spark and Hadoop.
- Experience with AWS
- A strong record of publications in top conferences such as NIPS, ICML, and KDD.
- Demonstrable experience in building, programming and integrating algorithms into production systems
- Proven experience producing computationally efficient software to meet real-time requirements.
- Understanding of the scientific theory behind machine learning techniques
As a full-time employee, you’ll enjoy:
- Unlimited PTO (with no waiting period), 10 annual Wellness Days
- Time off to volunteer and charitable donations matched up to $15,000 annually
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage
- 100% 401(k) employer match up to 10%, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- 100% paid parental leave (including for non-birthing parents) and family forming benefits
- Investment in your development: mentorship through our MentorMatch program, access to 6,000+ online courses through Udemy, and an annual $3,000 stipend for your professional development
- Investment in your wellness: access to mental health support via Modern Health, paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance, fitness membership subsidy, and commuter subsidy
- $500 work-from-home stipend to set you up for remote work
- Free subscription to Tinder Gold
The salary range for this position is $170,000 - $210,000. Factors such as scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate's work experience, education/training, job-related skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and business considerations may influence base pay offered. This salary range is reflective of a position based in Palo Alto, California. This salary will be subject to a geographic adjustment (according to a specific city and state), if an authorization is granted to work outside of the location listed in this posting.
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei
Dating Internet Mobile Apps Social Media