Engineering Intern (Growth)
Who we are
M1 has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our competitors.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $6 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, we’d love to have you read on.
M1 internships last 12 weeks. All internships are paid hourly. In the current climate, our internships will be conducted remotely, like the rest of our team and most of your internship will be done via Zoom. We will supply your equipment and you will have virtual opportunities to network and learn about M1, the finance industry, and the technology industry.
What we’re looking for
We are a team of driven engineers committed to executing a clear and exciting vision. We adopt an iterative approach, believe in continuous improvement, and embrace first-principles thinking. While we value creative dissent in problem solving and eschew the idea of adopting a solution just because "it has always been done that way," we also believe in respect, support, and enabling each team members’ best contributions however we can. Everyone plays an integral part in developing our product and is empowered to make impactful decisions on features, architecture, and implementation.
The Growth Engineering team is in charge of building, deploying, and maintaining mission critical systems that power the operation of M1's platform and several shared services. The systems range in responsibility and complexity -- from Logins/SignUps to M1 Plus.
Overall we adopt a microservices architecture and rely heavily on the Lightbend stack (Lagom / Play! / Akka / Scala).
We are looking for a passionate individual to join our team for the summer -- someone who realizes the value in code reviews, pair programming, and continuous self improvement; is unafraid to venture into undocumented territory; believes the most interesting problems do not have answers yet; shares our company vision, embodies our values, and also recognizes that software development is more than just a job, it is a craft.
What You’ll Do
- Collaborate with team members across functional areas to support and enhance M1’s product.
- Implement clean and maintainable code that adheres to industry best practices
- Identify and execute on opportunities to improve existing systems
- Contribute product ideas to overall company growth
- Grow alongside an exciting, committed team of engineers who will always help you be your best
- Junior level+ student studying Computer Science or related field. Seniors with desire to convert to full time are preferred
- Solid technical fundamentals and basic relational database concepts (SQL knowledge preferred)
- Familiarity with a JVM language, such as Scala, Java or Kotlin is preferred, but C++ experience is also fine. Some background or interest in functional programming is a plus
- Exposure or willingness to learn different developer tools such as Git, Shell, Postman, Docker, etc.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, self-motivated, growth-minded
- Excellent communicator and collaborator
- General knowledge of investing and personal finance or desire to learn
M1's Commitment to Diversity
M1 is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate different experiences and we're committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) at all levels of the company. Women, minorities, veterans, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. With our three DEI task forces (internal education, recruiting, and community involvement) and five Employee Resource Groups (Mental Health, Pride, Black, Latinx, and Women at M1), M1 employees and leaders set aside company time to tackle DEI projects and achieve goals every quarter.
Our team embodies our ten core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: Life short – everyone should spend their waking hours on something they find meaningful. We believe improving people’s financial wellness improves lives. It’s a vital and worthy cause.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. That means we’re responsible for the results to our clients, coworkers, and M1 shareholders. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. Put a dent in the universe. Thinking big inspires results. We’d rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for Action: Results lag prior efforts – we can’t hope or wait for results. Instead, we believe a good process leads to good outcomes and persistent progress leads to compounding.
- Economical: We strive to do more with less. We’ll always be limited in time, money, and energy, especially compared to our ambitions. We must use our limited resources on what matters and regard constraints as motivators.
- Transparency: Context and accurate information are the foundation of strong decision making. We share information openly, honestly, deliberately and broadly.
- Team-oriented: People at M1 may play different roles, but we’re all on the same team. Together, we can achieve more. We maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, trust one another, and seek out and respect different perspectives.
- Challenged, But Not Overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. We support growth through high standards, clearly defined responsibilities, and broad autonomy, with help when needed.
- Effectiveness: We care about performance and results, not specific methods. Different problems may require creative brilliance or a simple idea; grinding hard work or casual effort; or disciplined process versus scrappy implementation. Effective people do what’s needed to get the right things done and deliver intended results.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We’d be proud if our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values. This trust must never be broken.