About the job
The Disruption and Flexibility protection teams within Hopper Fintech have created brand new products and experiences in the award-winning Hopper mobile apps to help give peace-of-mind to customers booking travel. As Hopper expands beyond a consumer travel app, we are reimagining how these products can be brought to new groups of users, and are looking for a Fullstack Web engineer to join our team to build delightful, customer-centric experiences on the web.
As a Fullstack web developer on the Protection team, you'll work closely with product managers, designers, business leaders, and the other engineers on the team to build intuitive web experiences for proven and new products, as well as developing some of the backend components to power them. You will bring your experience building clean, user-friendly web applications to become a key member of the team determining how our products are offered and used on the web. By developing clean code and systems alongside our existing technology, you will allow us to ship experiments and new features quickly and regularly to learn directly from our users. You'll relentlessly pursue paths to improve Hopper and its fintech products to make travel a better experience for all, and to make Hopper the best place to book travel.
- Build amazing consumer experiences, taking responsibility for code quality, scalability, reliability and performance
- Serve as an expert on web development for the Hopper fintech teams, helping to develop and improve UX, API design, and our product offerings
- Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that customers love
- Help shape the systems design for the Flexibility and Disruption verticals and how it integrates with our microservices architecture
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- Maintain a passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our consumers
- Work to continuously improve our team, both by learning new skills and technologies, and by helping others do the same
- Love for building customer centric software
- 3+ years professional experience in front end web development
- Experience with at least one front-end stack
- 1+ years experience with backend services development (ideally using Java or Scala)
- Excelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Product Designers, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Ability to quickly iterate on Web interface UI/UX and related design
- Thorough understanding of Web system architecture and design, at scale
- Experience with, or willing to learn, distributed system development in React
- Proven track record of leading less-experienced engineers in building stable and scalable code
- Proven ability to build prototypes and take a data-driven approach to product development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
- The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
Our Tech Stack
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend (Scala experience would be a bonus, but is not required)
- We host our services on Google Cloud.
- We use technologies like Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, Redis.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer-paid telemedicine, medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k (US) or RRSP (Canada)
More about Hopper
At Hopper, we are on a mission to become the world’s best — and most fun — place to book travel. By leveraging massive amounts of data, advanced machine learning algorithms, Hopper combines its world-class travel agency offering with proprietary fintech products to help customers spend less and travel better. Ranked the third largest online travel agency in North America, the app has been downloaded nearly 80 million times and continues to gain market share globally.
Here are just a few stats that demonstrate the company’s recent growth:
- Hopper sold around $4 billion in travel and travel fintech in 2022, up nearly 3X over 2021. In 2022, Hopper increased its revenue 2.5X year-over year.
- The company’s bespoke fintech products, such as Flight Disruption Guarantee and Price Freeze, now represent 30-40% of Hopper’s total app revenue.
- Given the success of its fintech products, Hopper launched a B2B initiative called Hopper Cloud in late 2021. Through this partnership program, any travel provider (airlines, hotels, banks, travel agencies, etc.) can integrate and seamlessly distribute Hopper’s fintech or travel inventory. As its first Hopper Cloud partnership,
- Hopper partnered with Capital One to co-develop Capital One Travel, a new travel portal designed specifically for cardholders.
- Recognized as one of the world’s most innovative companies by Fast Company four years in a row, Hopper has been downloaded over 80 million times and continues to have millions of new installs each month.
- Hopper has raised over $700 million USD of private capital and is backed by some of the largest institutional investors and banks in the world. Hopper is primed to continue its acceleration as the world’s fastest-growing mobile-first travel marketplace.
Come take off with us!
Apps Artificial Intelligence Big Data Mobile Apps Predictive Analytics Travel