The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
As a Senior Backend Engineer at GitLab, you will work on our product. This includes the open-source version of GitLab, the enterprise editions, and the GitLab.com service. As part of this team, your goals will include enabling users to easily migrate their projects and groups from other systems to GitLab as well as GitLab to GitLab migrations and creation of new and maintenance as well as expansion of existing importers. The team is also responsible for enabling users to intuitively collaborate with 3rd party tools such as Slack and Jira so you can expect to have a hand in guiding, facilitating, and leading our implementation of our API strategy. You will work with product managers, designers, and front-end engineers toward common goals.
Some examples of our projects:
What you’ll do
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way.
- Collaborate with Product Management and other stakeholders within Engineering (Frontend, UX, etc.) to maintain a high bar for quality in a fast-paced, iterative environment.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
- Solve technical problems of moderate scope and complexity.
- Craft code that meets our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Recognize impediments to our efficiency as a team ("technical debt"), propose and implement solutions.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around specific projects and community contributions.
- Ship small features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members. Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Participate in Tier 2 or Tier 3 weekday and weekend and occasional night on-call rotations to assist in troubleshooting product operations, security operations, and urgent engineering issues.
What you’ll bring
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails, Redis, and Sidekiq
- Professional experience with Rest API, GraphQL, and Postgres SQL
- Experience with Data Migration, Grafana, and Kibana preferred
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, is sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Experience owning a project from concept to production, including proposal, discussion, and execution.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with excellent organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization.
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
- Ability to thrive in a fully remote organization.
About the team
Manage helps enterprise customers set up and adopt GitLab quickly, efficiently, and securely. Starting with Importing your data from competitor tools and allowing users to quickly join GitLab with the right level of access while adhering to compliance regulations and procedures and ultimately allowing you to fully implement your DevOps processes and be able to monitor your DevOps adoption and manage your Value Stream. Thanks to our Transparency value, you can see what we are working on in our Team page. You can even see our features and listen to some of our meetings.
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you're excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.