Fastly helps people stay better connected with the things they love. Fastly’s edge cloud platform enables customers to create great digital experiences quickly, securely, and reliably by processing, serving, and securing our customers’ applications as close to their end-users as possible — at the edge of the Internet. The platform is designed to take advantage of the modern internet, to be programmable, and to support agile software development. Fastly’s customers include many of the world’s most prominent companies, including Vimeo, Pinterest, The New York Times, and GitHub.
We're building a more trustworthy Internet. Come join us.
Staff Site Reliability Engineer, Networking
Fastly’s Technical Operations (TechOps) team is responsible for building & operating the infrastructure that powers the Fastly Edge Cloud Platform. We oversee an extensive global network that spans 6 continents with over 252 TBps of connected capacity. Our platform serves a significant portion of the content delivered to internet consumers across the planet, with customers ranging from online media streaming services to e-commerce, to open source projects, nonprofits and more. We take this responsibility seriously!
We’re looking for an experienced technical leader with deep knowledge of the internet that can bring strong engineering principles, operational rigor, and mature automation skills to help craft the future of Fastly’s network.
At “Staff” level (our most senior IC), we’re looking for someone with a deep knowledge of the internet, who is comfortable mentoring other members of the team.
We want folks to bring their expertise and opinions to help craft the future of Fastly's network
What you’ll do
- Design, build, and maintain the software & infrastructure that powers Fastly’s Edge Cloud Platform.
- Develop innovative ways of monitoring performance of the platform, with focus on the experience of end users on the Internet. Catch and remediate potential issues before they develop into impacting events.
- Increase scalability by building self-healing automation to reduce manual interaction, including network & system configuration, capacity & performance management, and traffic engineering.
- Respond to both internal & external facing incidents. Use learnings from these events to help shape processes, automation and tooling to reduce future occurrences.
- Advocate for operational stability of the network. Look for areas of opportunity and partner with engineering teams in the scoping and prioritization of their roadmaps and software solutions.
- Participate in an on-call rotation shared with a globally distributed team.
What we’re looking for
- Advanced Linux knowledge and the ability to dive deep into the stack.
- Strong programming skills, preferably in Python or Go.
- Real-world experience in the protocols and practices that make up the fabric of the global internet, including IP, BGP, Anycast, and DNS.
- Experience across cloud hosting solutions (i.e., GCP, AWS and Azure)
- Understanding of highly available & complex systems and how they operate at scale. Ability to think through edge cases and failure scenarios.
- Ability to analyze traffic patterns across multiple dimensions using flow-based tools.
- implement innovative ways to monitor and measure quantifiable metrics and experience working with tools such as Grafana, Prometheus, Splunk or equivalent.
- Passionate about knowledge sharing. Strong documentation skills and a willingness to mentor others.
The estimated salary range for this position is $167,790 to $209,740.
Starting salary may vary based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as experience, skills, qualifications, and location.
This role may be eligible to participate in Fastly’s equity and discretionary bonus programs.
Work Location(s) & Travel Requirements
This position is based out of Fastly’s San Francisco, Los Angeles, Denver, or New York office. Fastly currently embraces a largely hybrid model for most roles which allows employees flexibility to split their time between the office and home.
This position may require travel as required by your role or requested by your manager.
We care about you. Fastly works hard to create a positive environment for our employees, and we think your life outside of work is important too. We support our teams with great benefits that start on the first day of your employment with Fastly. Curious about our offerings?
- We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance. Family planning, mental health support along with Employee Assistance Program, Insurance (Life, Disability, and Accident), company paid holidays, paid time off and paid sick leave are there to help support our employees. We also offer 401(k) (including company match) and an Employee Stock Purchase Program.
COVID Travel Policy
Fastly is committed to safeguarding the health and well-being of our employees. Therefore, new hires may be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 if the role requires business-related travel, in-person meetings, attending large events and working in an office location, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or if prohibited by local law.
We have a huge impact. Fastly is a small company with a big reach. Not only do our customers have a tremendous user base, but we also support a growing number of open source projects and initiatives. Outside of code, employees are encouraged to share causes close to their heart with others so we can help lend a supportive hand.
We love distributed teams. Fastly’s home-base is in San Francisco, but we have multiple offices and employees sprinkled around the globe.
We value diversity. Growing and maintaining our inclusive and diverse team matters to us. We are committed to being a company where our employees feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and have the ability to be successful -- every day.
We are passionate. Fastly is chock full of passionate people and we’re not ‘one size fits all’. Fastly employs authors, pilots, skiers, parents (of humans and animals), makeup geeks, coffee connoisseurs, and more. We love employees for who they are and what they are passionate about.
We’re always looking for humble, sharp, and creative folks to join the Fastly team. If you think you might be a fit please apply! A fully completed application and resume or CV are required when applying.
Fastly is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity and to providing employees with a safe and welcoming work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, family or parental status, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Consistent with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and federal or state disability laws, Fastly will provide reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact your Recruiter, or the Fastly Employee Relations team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 501-287-4901.