Everlaw is looking for a Software Engineer with strong CS fundamentals, humility, and interest in expanding their skills in new directions. Tackling litigation with technology is a deep challenge that requires search, databases, data visualization, distributed systems, machine learning, real-time collaboration, nifty user interfaces, and more. We will encourage you to explore our entire system and work with significant autonomy across the stack. However, if you have specialized skills you would like to leverage, we welcome that as well. We care about finding self-driven engineers that love their craft, write clean software, use the right tools for the job, and avoid dogma. As a result, we’ve been able to build quite a bit of sophisticated technology with a small, talented team. Ours is the kind of culture where you’ll own serious features, write great code, learn a huge amount, and have a lot of fun. There are no sprints and no deadlines(!); code quality and maintainability is paramount.
Engineering is the backbone of the Everlaw Platform. We build features and functionality into the product and ensure its smooth functioning with automation and monitoring tools. We also provide data and insights to the rest of Everlaw. At our core, we like to build, and enjoy the creative process of building software that is smart, works well, scales well, and is reliable and secure. We do this by supporting and empowering our team members to do their best work, by tackling challenging and complex engineering problems, and by nurturing and supporting each team member through mentoring, coaching, and comprehensive feedback.
At Everlaw, our mission is to promote justice by illuminating truth. Our company culture is open and vibrant and we’re committed to the professional growth of our team members, offering an annual learning and development stipend and regular check-ins with managers regarding career goals. If you’re looking for a place that values passion, integrity, thinking big, and a desire to learn, we’d love to hear from you! Think you’re missing some of the skills and are hesitant to apply? We do not believe in the ‘perfect’ candidate and encourage you to apply if you feel you can bring value to our team.
This is a full-time, on-site position located in Oakland, California.
- We want you to feel like part of the team early on! Our onboarding process will integrate you into the company with informative sessions on our product, policies, processes, and team structure and goals.
- We’re excited for you to learn, grow, and contribute right away! We trust that you’ll bring experience and knowledge that will uplift and uplevel the team, but we don’t expect you to know everything on Day 1.
In your role, you’ll…
- Choose from a wide variety of features options, owning them from inception to release as the sole contributor.
- Features that represent the core of our ediscovery platform, such as Document Upload, Organization, Search, Filtering, Review (assignments, redactions, coding), and Export.
- Features related to Infrastructure for our platform which is served from AWS and uses MySQL/Postgres for relational storage, Java based Jetty web server using Spring framework for business logic, React and Dojo frameworks for frontend UI using Typescript, and Terraform and Ansible to manage deployments.
- Collaborate with one or more of the Product, Design, Engineering Operations, Security Engineering, and DevOps teams to build out and implement new features that are used in our production environments.
- Fix defects in our product by triaging product or system issues and writing code to debug and resolve these issues.
- Providing on-call support for the product by answering questions from customers, and triaging defects and exceptions.
- Contribute to documentation for internal engineering consumption.
- Become product certified! You will learn the ins and outs of the Everlaw platform through a series of training modules.
- You have a BS or MS in Computer Science, or equivalent coursework.
- You have good knowledge of algorithms and fundamental computer science concepts.
- You have some experience building small software projects as part of class assignments or summer internships.
- You are familiar with LUNIX.
- You are familiar with Git or a similar version control system.
- You have excellent writing and communication skills.
- Competitive salary.
- Substantial equity.
- 401k with company matching.
- Health, dental, and vision.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for health and dependent care expenses.
- Paid parental leave and sick leave.
- Seventeen paid vacation days plus ten bankable federal holidays.
- Annual allocation for Learning & Development opportunities and applicable professional membership dues.
- Company-sponsored life and disability insurance.
- Work in Uptown Oakland, just steps from the BART line and dozens of restaurants and walking distance to Lake Merritt
- Flexible work-from-home days on Tuesdays and Fridays
- Monthly home internet reimbursement
- You will get a powerful Linux laptop and be able to customize your desk setup
- Enjoy a wide variety of snacks and beverages in the Oakland office
- Bond over company-wide out-of-the-box events and fun activities with your team
- Time off for company-sponsored volunteer events and 4 paid hours per quarter to volunteer at a charitable organization of your choice
- Take advantage of learning and career development opportunities
- One of Wealthfront’s 2021 Career Launching Companies, one of “Inc Magazine's Best Workplaces”, and ranked #2 on the “2022 Bay Area Best Places to Work” list by the San Francisco Business Times and the Silicon Valley Business Journal
- One of Fast Company’s World's Most Innovative Companies for 2022 and proud contributor of free ediscovery resources to benefit the greater good through “Everlaw for Good”
Pursue Truth While Finding Yours
At Everlaw, we are deeply invested in pursuing the truth, for our clients and for our employees. We know that when you’re empowered to pursue your passions, it is reflected in the work. That’s why we’re committed to the professional growth of all our team members, offering an annual learning and development stipend and regular career check-ins with managers. If you’re looking for a place that values passion, integrity, and a desire to learn, we’d love to hear from you!
We help law firms, government agencies, and corporations sift through millions of documents of evidence in big lawsuits and investigations to find the proverbial smoking gun (or needle in the haystack -- pick your metaphor). It's a multi-billion dollar space typically dominated by service-oriented vendors, and we're coming at it with cutting-edge technology and elegant design. It's working, and we've been growing very rapidly: we host hundreds of terabytes of data and work with all 50 state Attorneys General and hundreds of law firms on some of the most high-profile cases litigated today.
Everlaw is an equal opportunity employer. We pride ourselves on having a diverse workforce and we do not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition, or any other basis protected by law. We respect the gender, gender identity and gender expression of our applicants and employees, and we honor requests for pronouns. It is our policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to nondiscrimination and equal opportunity, including the California Equal Pay Act. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Everlaw requires all of its employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a medical or religious exemption applies. If you are hired, we will require you to prove that you have received the COVID-19 vaccine, unless you have received a medical or religious exemption.
Cloud Computing Document Management Legal Legal Tech