👋 Hi, I’m Ben - Director of Engineering here at Dwolla. I’m looking for an analytical, empathetic data engineer who loves trouble-shooting and working in a fast-paced, collaborative, diverse Engineering team.
Here is what you can expect to work on in this critical role:
You will lead the efforts to leverage the data we hold to its maximum value. Our Dwolla API platform processes billions of dollars in payment every month on behalf of millions of users. Using this data, you will assist the rest of Dwolla in making the most informed decisions possible.
This includes developing and executing a technical vision for cutting-edge AWS-based data pipelines. Additionally, you can expect to support new product offerings and business intelligence development efforts while also ensuring deployed systems uphold required levels of performance.
Experience working with infrastructure-as-code and CI/CD systems (such as Terraform, Troposphere, Cloudformation, Jenkins) and experience with Microsoft SQL Server administration(especially high-availability setups) would be clutch for this position 🎉, as these are also included in the responsibilities of this role.
How do our Data Engineers spend their time?
You can expect to spend about 50% building and growing the Dwolla data lake and date pipelines and about 20% of your time defining and implementing DataOps methodologies. Additionally, 20% of your time will be spent writing and optimizing queries and reports. Lastly, you’ll spend about 10% of your time supporting and monitoring existing databases.
Our team values collaboration, a passion for learning and a desire to become a master of your craft. We thrive in asynchronous communication. You will have a lot of support from leadership when you communicate proactively with detailed information about any roadblocks you may encounter.
Qualities of Data Engineers Who Thrive in This Role
🔥 You are a driven, self-starter type of person who isn’t afraid to dig for answers, stays up-to-date on industry trends and is always looking for ways to enhance your knowledge (yes, industry-related podcasts count! 🎧) .
💡Your skill set includes a blend of Data Lake-related technologies in AWS (Redshift, Glue, Athena, S3 would be great!)
🖥️ Experience with Python and SQL are clutch! (Perhaps you’ve got a software engineering background?)
What’s expected of a Data Engineer II/Senior Data Engineer I at Dwolla?
- Design, build, monitor, and maintain infrastructure-as-code AWS-based data pipelines to support both internal and client-facing use cases
- Write and optimize Python code for ETL and other jobs to populate the Dwolla Data Lake and integrate with Salesforce (and related tools)
- Help define and implement the principles and technologies for a Data Lifecycle to enable application of CI/CD principles to data problems while ensuring integrity, security, privacy, and performance
- Support the Technology department’s use of a combination of AWS database technologies through advising on implementations, troubleshooting, and maintenance
- Partner with other engineers and business intelligence developers in writing and optimizing queries or developing performant schemas with consideration for security and privacy
- Assist other Engineers in supporting a highly-available Microsoft SQL cluster including user management, patching, backups, and performance troubleshooting
- Contribute to plans and exercises to ensure databases and data pipelines are resilient to outages and recoverable in the event of a disaster
- Communicate technical decisions through RFCs, design docs, technical training, and the wiki
- Mentors other engineers via pairing, design review, and code review
What are the preferred qualifications for this position?
- Experience implementing relevant AWS technologies for the purposes of building data pipelines and executing extract, transform, load (ETL) jobs
- Experience with AWS warehousing and analysis technologies such as Redshift, Quicksight, and Athena
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code (i.e, CloudFormation, CDK, Serverless) methodologies
- Experience designing and reviewing multi-function Python programs in accordance with style and security guidelines
- Experience optimizing SQL queries for high performance
- Experience with highly-available SQL server installations and AWS RDS
- A knack for seeking empirical evidence through proof of concepts, tests and external research
- Empathy with the user of the work you are producing to guide decision-making
- Strong analytical thinking and troubleshooting skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Typically requires 2+ years of experience in a professional environment in a similar role
When you join the Dwolla team, you get these great perks:
⭐ Unlimited Paid Time Off (with a mandatory PTO minimum of 5 days every 4 months)
⭐ Enjoy a reduced summer 2022 work schedule (Summer Hours 2022 for the win! 😎)
⭐ 12 weeks paid parental leave
⭐ Medical, dental and vision insurance (Health plan options include a free Peloton app & Apple Fitness membership, FSA & HSA options and more…)
⭐ Dedication to supporting mental health via paid subscription to Headspace
⭐ Stock options
⭐ 401k (with 4% company match)
⭐ Long-term disability insurance
⭐ Life insurance
Our Remote-First Workspace
⭐ Our employees can work from anywhere in the US or from our Des Moines office.
⭐ You can move anywhere in the US and your compensation won’t change.
⭐ Combined with our unlimited PTO, you have the flexibility to enjoy the laptop lifestyle and balance work while traveling.
⭐ We actively support a healthy remote-first company culture by frequently providing both in-person and virtual opportunities for collaboration with co-workers.
⭐ We never miss a beat… by working both synchronously and asynchronously in our day-to-day interactions we’re able to stay full-steam ahead.
⭐ Remote-first home office stipend (and paid parking for our office-loving employees)
❗❗**Please note: While we support a remote-first work environment, we are currently only able to offer employment to candidates who live in the United States**
Some Fine Print
At Dwolla, we value diversity and hold the core belief that the best teams are built by the inclusion of diverse ideas, experiences, and people.
If you require a reasonable accommodation or assistance for any part of the interview and employment process, please contact Katie Spellman (Talent Recruiter) at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request.
If offered this position, you will be asked to complete an employment and credit verification authorization form (which allows us to run a background check) as part of our employment process. By submitting this application, you agree that Dwolla may share applicant information with a third party for communication services.
By clicking 'apply for this job' you agree to our privacy policies found here.
Banking Developer APIs FinTech Mobile Payments Payments