We're Cruise, a self-driving service designed for the cities we love.
We’re building the world’s most advanced, self-driving vehicles to safely connect people to the places, things, and experiences they care about. We believe self-driving vehicles will help save lives, reshape cities, give back time in transit, and restore freedom of movement for many.
Cruisers have the opportunity to grow and develop while learning from leaders at the forefront of their fields. With a culture of internal mobility, there's an opportunity to thrive in a variety of disciplines. This is a place for dreamers and doers to succeed.
If you are looking to play a part in making a positive impact in the world by advancing the revolutionary work of self-driving cars, join us.
The Autonomous Vehicle (AV) software stack is a sophisticated workload that includes compute and data intensive functions within perception, prediction, planning and control. This role is within the ML Accelerators (MLA) team which drives maintenance and optimization of the software stack for real-time, on-road performance. This means optimal workload mapping onto a heterogeneous, resource-constrained hardware, co-architecting the HW platform with HW engineers and building platforms and tools for AI deployment and performance profiling, diagnosis and optimizations that can be employed by AV developers. MLA engineers work in close collaboration with AV engineers throughout the lifecycle of creating new AV features which is essential to the success of our mission.
In this role, you will be driving the technical strategy and execution of major initiatives to monitor, analyze and triage runtime performance bottlenecks and issues of the AV SW stack. As the leader of the Performance Analytics team, you will drive analysis and characterization of the system performance, creating concrete insights about trends and risks in terms of AV performance on different platforms and deployed operational regions. You will collaborate closely with leaders in MLA, AI, Robotics, Simulation and HW teams to bring visibility and observability for real-time and stable execution requirements of the AV SW stack; all foundational initiatives that will accelerate the company’s momentum to a full-fledged, driverless AV deployment.
If you're interested in a leadership role in the exciting and innovative domain of Autonomous Vehicles, to work on the intersection of Analytics, AI and AV, let's chat!
What you’ll be doing:
- Lead and manage a team of engineers within the Performance Infrastructure org, to demonstrate empowerment, growth, psychological safety, collaboration, and other Cruise values
- Drive strategic planning, vision setting and establishing scalable execution processes to sustain and improve observability and response time to performance insights and alerts
- Build scalable solutions and establish full performance observability into all AV production systems (road and simulation)
- Build systems and processes to create concrete insights and alerts about the AV workloads on different AV platforms and in different driving environments
- Drive initiatives to proactively identify risks and opportunities for performance optimizations, w.r.t AV topline metrics (safety and reliability)
- Invest heavily in recruiting, finding opportunities for external engagement to improve the Cruise engineering brand
What you must have:
- MSc in Computer Science / Engineering or equivalent domains, with 5+ years of industry experience
- Hands-on experience in using open source tools to develop Analytics / Data-Science Solutions.
- Proficiency in predictive modeling and data mining using cloud based big data technologies (BigQuery, RedShift etc.)
- Prior experience in engineering management (people and projects)
- Strong interest in developing solutions for High Performance Computing (HPC), Parallel Programming, Performance-Driven Development (PDD), or similar domains
- Prior experience building, managing, leading, and growing productive and cohesive teams in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated experience thinking strategically with analytical and problem-solving experience
- Expertise in Statistical Analysis, Visualization tools.
- Experience with ML/AI and robotics software stacks and ROS architectures
- Experience with edge computing, embedded systems and real-time OS
- Our benefits are here to support the whole you:
- Competitive salary and benefits
- 401(k) Cruise matching program
- Medical / dental / vision, AD+D and Life
- One Medical membership
- Subsidized mental health benefits
- Flexible vacation and company paid holidays
- Healthy meals and snacks provided for non-remote employees
- Paid parental, jury duty, bereavement, family care and medical leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account, subsidized by Cruise
- Flexible Spending Account
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Pre-tax Commuter Benefit Plan for non-remote employees
- CruiseFlex - a working policy for US-Based Cruisers that lets you and your manager find what working style is best for you, whether it’s primarily in-person, primarily at home or a combination of home and in-office time.
- We’re Integrated
- Through our partnerships with General Motors and Honda, we are the only self-driving company with fully integrated manufacturing at scale.
- We’re Funded
- GM, Honda, Microsoft, T. Rowe Price & Walmart have invested billions in Cruise. Their backing for our technology demonstrates their confidence in our progress, team, and vision and makes us one of the leading autonomous vehicle organizations in the industry. Our deep resources greatly accelerate our operating speed.
- We’re Independent
- We have our own governance, board of directors, equity, and investors. Our independence allows us to not just work on the edge of technology, but also define it.
- We’re Vested
- You won’t just own your work here, you’ll have the potential to own equity in Cruise, too. We are competing in a market that is projected to grow exponentially, which gives our company valuation room to grow.
- Recurring Liquidity Opportunity (RLO) - a unique equity program where employees, both current and former, have the option to sell any amount of their vested equity on a recurring basis, currently quarterly.
Cruise LLC is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a supportive and inclusive workplace where contributions are valued and celebrated, and our employees thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do the best work of their lives.
We seek applicants of all backgrounds and identities, across race, color, ethnicity, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or parental status, or disability. Applicants will not be discriminated against based on these or other protected categories or social identities. Cruise will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with applicable laws.
Cruise is committed to the full inclusion of all applicants. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process please let our recruiting team know or email HR@getcruise.com.
We proactively work to design hiring processes that promote equity and inclusion while mitigating bias. To help us track the effectiveness and inclusivity of our recruiting efforts, please consider answering the following demographic questions. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary. Your answers to these questions will not be shared with the hiring decision makers and will not impact the hiring decision in any way. Instead, Cruise will use this information not only to comply with any government reporting obligations but also to track our progress toward meeting our diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging objectives.
At Cruise, we’re tasked with leading in the communities we serve — and doing our part to help keep our communities and our teams safe. Our #StaySafe culture transcends and informs all we do, and because of this, as of October 31, 2021 Cruise will be mandating COVID-19 vaccinations for all US-based Cruisers who need or want to access any of our US Cruise facilities and engage in any business travel — including attending any in-person Company-sponsored event.
If you are unable to get a vaccine due to a medical condition, disability, or a strongly-held religious belief, Cruise will consider requests for an accommodation.
Note to Recruitment Agencies: Cruise does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Furthermore, Cruise does not pay placement fees for candidates submitted by any agency other than its approved partners.