Button’s mission is to build a better way to do business in mobile. Today, we work with some of the largest and most interesting businesses in the world to connect consumers with what they want at the tap of a button. We build with the consumer experience in mind, have a reputation for paving the future of mobile, and have a good time doing it.
As a Staff Infrastructure Engineer, you will be responsible for building, maintaining, and evolving our production infrastructure and devops. The mission is to make Button’s infrastructure easier to operate, more reliable, and secure, without breaking the bank. A well-designed infrastructure increases the velocity of every engineer on the team.
You will have direct influence over the infrastructure that supports Button’s services, applications, and data processing systems. You will closely partner with Product Engineers and Product Managers to ensure coherent cloud infrastructure of developer tooling. You will provide and maintain a self-service platform for Product Engineering to stand-up, maintain, and otherwise service the foundation for Button’s products. In this role, you will have the opportunity to greatly influence and drive the infrastructure vision and participate in planning the roadmap.
Button is a RemotePlus company, and this position is eligible for 100% remote work from anywhere in the USA or Canada.
AS A STAFF INFRASTRUCTURE ENGINEER:
- Expand our system instrumentation and tooling with monitoring, alerting, logging, and tracing for our critical business tasks. You will be responsible for identifying and following through on key system metrics. Button strives to maintain an alerting culture that keeps the pagers quiet and is rooted in actionable, customer-facing syndromes.
- Support new feature development as the go-to-partner for Product Engineering for the infrastructure needs, providing tools and guidance when it comes to the best practices and solving problems with our unique constraints.
- Build and maintain tooling to improve developer workflows (including your own!), eliminate mysteries in our environments, and reduce variability among our common infrastructure components.
- Manage and monitor most aspects of our production serving environment. We're primarily an AWS shop, and we make heavy use of ECS, RDS, SNS/SQS, and EC2 in production, all managed through Terraform.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR TEAMMATES WHO HAVE:
- A passion for building reliable, scalable, right-sized, and well-documented systems and services for supporting Button’s products, as well as an interest in exploring new technologies.
- Building internal tools and scripting solutions. This will require comfort operating across the entire span of a data processing pipeline and software development cycles (including supporting CI/CD and scaling the platform).
- Fluency in and around Linux systems. You should be comfortable in a variety of troubleshooting situations that involve the health of the underlying system.
- Familiarity with traditional SQL databases as well as BigQuery. You're comfortable understanding and debugging situations like slow queries and failed migrations.
- A security- and safety-oriented mindset. You have good instincts for how to balance empowering developers versus maintaining a principle of least necessary privilege.
- An ability to move fast, make decisions, and take a pragmatic approach to any problem. We know there are lots of ways to accomplish the same goal; you’ll find and champion the best approaches for our team.
- A track record of “leveling-up” the team around them, driving impact not just through their own contributions but also by elevating others.
- Experience and comfort in a production environment. You’ll be working in a “magic-free” service-oriented environment.
- 7+ years of experience supporting and building infrastructure with direct hands-on experience with a variety of tools and frameworks. Today, Button uses EC2, RDS, SNS/SQS, and ECS, all managed through Terraform.
- Proficiency with both relational and non-relational databases.
- Proficiency with AWS
- Proficiency with Python, Go, or Node.js
- Experience with GCP is a plus; we use BigQuery for our data infrastructure.
- An awareness of the landscape of available data storage and processing tools as well as an eagerness to keep up with new technology
MORE ABOUT US:
- Button was founded in 2014. We’ve raised $65M in funding. Most recently we announced our $30M Series C in June 2019, led by Icon Ventures. Our investors include Norwest, Redpoint, Greycroft, Icon Ventures, DCM, and Capital One Ventures.
- We believe and invest in personal growth, and we’ve got the results to back it up. We’ve been recognized multiple times by BuiltIn, Fortune, Inc., and Crain’s magazines as one of the best places to work in the US.
- We value diversity and come from all sorts of different backgrounds. We were especially proud the first time we hired a coding boot camp graduate.
Button is proud to offer employees a RemotePlus work experience, allowing employees the opportunity to live and work anywhere in the United States of America or Canada. Button’s total compensation package includes a base salary competitive with what is offered by similar companies in major US markets. The salary range for this role is expected to be between $174,000 and $225,000 (offered salary is based on a number of factors including skills and experience relative to the job description listed above). In addition, Button provides employees with a 401(k) plan and automatically contributes 3% of an employee’s salary annually. We want our employees to be truly invested in their work– each Buttonian receives stock options upon joining the company. We also want our employees to be well-rested and live balanced lives–Buttonians enjoy unlimited time off (including birthdays off) and periodic Mental Health Weeks which allow the entire company to take a breath and recharge, as well as an employee assistance program. For many of the health, vision, and dental insurance plans offered by Button, the company covers 100% of the premiums for employees and 75% for dependents. Button offers all employees and their dependents complimentary memberships to One Medical as well as a monthly stipend for mobile phone/internet and an annual lifestyle stipend. Button also offers employees in select markets “All Access” memberships to WeWork as well as regular “coworking days” and social events. Most of all, Button offers our employees the opportunity to live our company values–Grow, Learn, and Adapt–and to be a part of an incredible team of humans working together to build a better way to do business in mobile.
Button is committed to being a welcoming and inclusive workplace for everyone, and we are intentional about making sure people feel respected, supported and connected at work—regardless of who you are or where you come from. We value and celebrate our differences and we believe being open about who we are allows us to do the best work of our lives.
Button is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, rule, or regulation.
To read more about what personal information we collect on your behalf and for what purposes we use such information, click here.
Enterprise Software Mobile Mobile Apps Software