WHAT IS BOX?
Box is the market leader for Cloud Content Management. Our mission is to power how the world works together. Box is partnering with enterprise organizations to accelerate their digital transformation by creating a single platform for secure content management, collaboration and workflow. We have an amazing opportunity to further establish ourselves as leaders in the space, and we need strong advocates to help us achieve that goal. By joining Box, you will have the unique opportunity to help capture a majority of this developing market and define what content management looks like for the digital enterprise. Today, Box powers 100,000+ businesses, including many top Fortune 500 companies who trust our secure collaboration platform to manage the entire content lifecycle.
WHY BOX NEEDS YOU
The DB Platform team’s mission is to provide a scalable and resilient database platform, on top of the underlying database infrastructure, to support our clients’ relational data access use cases. Developers at Box routinely face challenges of serving millions of requests per second, while providing enterprise-grade uptime, consistency and performance guarantees. Our goal is to let them focus on business logic, while we make sure the data layer lives up to their requirements.
As a member of the DB Platform team, you are going to have a unique opportunity to shape the future of data at Box, especially as we take advantage of our new home in the cloud to make our data infrastructure more scalable and performant than ever. Working closely with the database infrastructure team and the database access service layer team, you will get to rethink how our tenants’ data should be logically distributed across our databases, to optimize for performance in a high-throughput, low-latency environment. You will work with client engineering teams to understand their use cases and use it to help define our team's technical vision and roadmap. You will continually improve the usability of our relational data tier, transforming it into a true self-contained platform.
For more insight into Box's data tier, please see the following:
- Percona 2020 talk about protecting MySQL at scale
- Percona 2021 talk about transit nodes: a sparse data structure for recording sharding denormalizations
- Medium blog post on maintaining strict data consistency in the face of replication lag
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Help define the future of Box's DB Platform architecture in the cloud and evolve our systems towards it
- Work with team members to design novel approaches to addressing scale and observability challenges associated with exponentially increased usage of our data tier
- Develop services to identify, eliminate and prevent future occurrences of data inconsistencies or corruptions.
- Provide guidance to client engineering teams on how best to design their entity schemas in a sharded, low-latency, high-throughput environment
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or a related field
- 3+ years of software development experience
- Proficient in common algorithms, data structures, and code design principles
- Experience with high-scale distributed systems
- Passionate about solving database scale and performance challenges
- Strong sense of ownership, persistence, and drive
- Excellent communication skill
Head-over-heels about this role — but not sure you meet all the requirements? Apply anyway! Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At Box, we take a big-picture approach to hiring that fosters authenticity, diversity, and inclusion. If you're passionate about this opportunity, chances are, you shine pretty bright.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability, and any other protected ground of discrimination under applicable human rights legislation. Box strives to respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and is committed to giving them the same opportunity to succeed as all other employees. Inclusiveness is core to our culture at Box, and we strive to ensure you get the most from your interview experience. Box makes reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities. If a reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, please complete this form Reasonable accommodations may include scheduling adjustments, document dictation and beyond.
Notice to applicants in Los Angeles: Box, Inc and its related branches will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chair Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here.
Notice to applicants in San Francisco: Box, Inc and its related branches will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chair Ordinance. The Fair Chance Ordinance is provided here.
For details on how we protect your information when you apply, please see our Personnel Privacy Notice. If you are a California-resident, please read our California Applicant & Candidate Privacy Notice here.
Other Jobs from Box
See 15,000+ More Jobs Like These
Subscribe to weekly membership and unlock all jobs
15,000+ jobs from 2,600+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results