- Manage R&D programs for next-generation OEP consumables from concept to high-volume production.
- Serve as the technical lead for the design and performance of all components used in the fabrication of OEP consumables, which include: OEP silicon substrates; photo-patternable materials; optically transparent, conductive materials; printed circuit boards; electronic interconnect materials; and adhesives for final assembly.
- Drive the design of new consumables and develop robust fabrication and assembly processes to meet product requirements in collaboration with internal teams. Recommend the best processes for scale-up from R&D to production. Work with the Consumables Manufacturing and Supply Chain teams to implement those processes.
- Lead R&D efforts to improve the manufacturability, yield, and reliability of BLI consumables. Collaborate with the Manufacturing team on cost reduction and capacity expansion efforts as we scale.
- Work closely with suppliers to test new fabrication and assembly processes and to scale those processes to meet specifications. Assist the Supply Chain team with selecting and qualifying new suppliers.
- Become the resident expert for all processes used to design and fabricate OEP consumables such as: OEP silicon fabrication, polymer patterning using photolithography, photomask design, bonding processes, metal deposition, plasma processes, dicing, glass drilling, adhesive dispensing and curing, and quality control (QC) metrologies.
- Characterize and test new consumables once they are fabricated, which will occasionally require running functional tests on BLI platforms using relevant workflows.
- Conduct feasibility studies for new consumable designs and fabrication processes in the laboratory and in local cleanroom facilities as needed.
- Support the failure analysis of OEP consumables that do not meet performance and reliability specifications. This includes working with external laboratories to complete the appropriate analyses.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or Materials Science and Engineering. An excellent academic record is a strong plus.
- 2+ years of experience with semiconductor back-end processing and manufacturing. Experience with semiconductor front-end processing is a plus.
- Experience managing suppliers for semiconductor processing and package assembly materials.
- Experience with the design and fabrication of microfluidic devices – particularly bonding and assembly processes.
- Data-driven, proficient with design of experiments (DOE), statistical analysis, statistical process control (SPC), failure modes and effects analysis (FMEA), and structured problem solving.
- Technology transfer experience, i.e., transferring designs and processes from R&D to production facilities at suppliers.
- Knowledge of characterization techniques for semiconductors and microfluidic devices. Experience with failure analysis is a plus.
- Experience working in a semiconductor fabrication cleanroom.
- R&D experience developing consumables for life sciences.
- An understanding of microfluidic physical phenomena.
- Proficiency with drafting software to generate photomask layouts.
- Ability to thrive in a start-up company with demanding schedules and deliverables.
- Outstanding collaborative, interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to clearly articulate ideas, problems, and solutions within a highly interdisciplinary environment.
- Travel may be required for supplier visits (<10%).
Other Jobs from Berkeley Lights
See 15,000+ More Jobs Like These
Subscribe to weekly membership and unlock all jobs
15,000+ jobs from 2,600+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member