Aiven provides an open source data platform as a service. We help organizations fuel the continuous innovation needed to create cutting edge, data-intensive applications by using the leading open source technologies.
We’ve got the will - our vision: Aiven is a trusted open source data platform for everyone.
We’ve got the way - our values: openness, ownership and courage. We’re proud of our positive and passionate working environment, and it makes us really excited about what we can achieve. With us, you’ll be free to contribute creatively and meaningfully.
We’ve got the funding - our trusted backers: with world-class investors like Atomico, IVP and Earlybird Venture Capital, in 2022 we raised Series D funding of $210M to fuel global expansion, sustainability and diversity in tech. With a recent valuation of $3B, we’re one of the tech world’s most recent unicorns.
We value and celebrate the diversity of our people and invest in building a diverse team. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. We have a journey ahead of us, and we are committed to taking that journey towards being a more diverse and inclusive company.
Come and read more about us at https://aiven.io/blog/what-is-aiven
Staff Full-Stack Engineer (Aiven Console)
About the role:
We’re hiring an experienced staff full-stack engineer to work on our Aiven Console. The Aiven Console enables our users to explore and control their data services via a graphical web user interface. As Aiven Console is often the customer’s first touchpoint with Aiven’s data platform and plays a big part in our product-led growth strategy, we want it to be an intuitive and beautiful experience, while not forgetting the needs of our more experienced users.
We are looking for product-minded engineers who have a keen interest in the business and user behavior, are proactive with product development ideas and tradeoffs, and want to understand the “Why?” behind all things. As a product-minded engineer you communicate well with engineers and non-engineers alike and are interested in how other functions work.
As a staff engineer, we expect you to be a bar raiser in multiple dimensions: technical decision making and mentorship, problem solving, experience, and personal output. Staff engineers are also expected to have a material positive impact outside of your own team. We’d love you to show us how we can improve what we do. Our teams are proud of what we build and value curiosity, healthy debate, and exchange of ideas.
Here are some example areas you may work on:
- Designing, architecting and implementing user analytics, experiments and A/B testing capabilities across Aiven Console.
- Rearchitecting and reimplementing the way our Aiven Console is deployed to speed up development cycles and ease the operational load for our SREs.
- Assessing, architecting and implementing APM and observability solutions across our Aiven Console stack.
- Enabling scaling our engineering organization and code base by identifying blockers and restructuring our frontend codebase to support the growing number of teams working on the same technical platform.
- Creating completely new platform-wide capabilities or extending existing ones. (Like enabling our users to tag their Aiven resources.)
- Building the user experience for a new service. (In the past year we introduced Aiven for Apache Flink and Aiven for Clickhouse to the Aiven Console.)
- Driving our public RESTful API development, design and performance in collaboration with other teams.
- Enabling design at scale by contributing to our company-wide in-house design system.
- Driving the team’s backlog by owning the technical planning of feature deliveries.
- Technical mentoring of other team members and engineers.
Our staff engineers are highly experienced and have a proven track record of sound technical decision making and successful software solution deliveries. To match that, you’ll have at least ten years’ experience building web-facing applications. But more than the years we care about what you have been doing. We want to hear about the products you’ve shipped, how they were built, what was the impact, and what you learned while doing that.
Our frontend is built with TypeScript, React and Redux, our backend centers on Python and PostgreSQL, and the application is hosted on public cloud infrastructure. As such, to succeed as a staff full-stack engineer at Aiven you have most of the following:
- Long, proven track record of successfully shipped software products and solutions
- Strong communication and technical leadership skills, your leverage comes through influence not authority
- Exceptional problem solving and decision making skills, you look beyond the obvious to the second and third order effects on the whole business and organization
- Strong programming skills, including system architecture, testing, and testing automation
- Experience building web-facing applications end-to-end, including everything from the browser to the cloud infrastructure and data services the app runs on
- Proficiency in TypeScript and one or more modern SPA frameworks
- Experience in Python, or proven ability to learn new programming languages
- Experience designing relational databases and analyzing and improving database performance
- Experience working with public cloud infrastructure and deploying full-stack web applications on cloud infra (AWS, GCP or Azure)
- Experience designing and implementing public RESTful APIs
- Experience in full-stack observability, APM and distributed tracing solutions (Datadog, New Relic, Honeycomb, OpenTracing, Grafana, etc.)
- Experience in CI/CD pipeline design and implementation (Jenkins, GitLab CI/CD, GitHub Actions, etc.)
- Fluent skills in English, written and verbal
If you ask us what’s the best thing about working for Aiven, many will probably say it’s the high concentration of talent from around the world that we have here. Enjoy the agile environment of a hyperscale scale-up where you can truly make an impact and have fun while at it.
We invest in you
- Participate in Aiven’s equity plan.
- Dreaming of flexible work arrangements? Look no further. Work in one of our hubs, fully remote, or anything in between.
- Get the equipment you need to set yourself up for success.
- Step up your career game with real employer support (use one of our learning platforms, annual learning budget, and more).
- Get holistic wellbeing support through our global Employee Assistance Program.
Make a difference at Aiven
- Contribute to open source projects that you find meaningful outside of work - and get paid for it. Our Plankton program recognizes extra work to the open source ecosystem for developers and non-developers alike.
- Use up to 5 days per year to volunteer for a good cause of your choice.
- Join one of our team member resource groups - empower yourself and others in missions that resonate with you.
- Your wellbeing matters: we provide professional massage at the office as well as health and fitness benefits through Urban Sport Club membership
- Love breakfast. So do we. Join us at our monthly team breakfast
- Know someone who would be the perfect fit for Aiven? Benefit from our referral bonus programme as soon as you join.
Amazing, What’s next
If you think Aiven is the place for you, send us your CV, and we’ll get in touch!
How to Recognise and Avoid Employment Scams
There has been a rise in fake job postings used by scammers to get personal information. Please familiarise yourself with the red flags of a potential scam.
Here at Aiven, all of our emails relating to recruitment come from an @aiven.io, @greenhouse.io or @eu.greenhouse.io domain and all of our interviews are conducted over video call or in person, our interviews will never occur over text or chat. If you’re unsure of the legitimacy of a job opportunity/offer pertaining to Aiven, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.
Aiven provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for employment without regard to age, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, religion, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, marital and family status or without regard to any other similar personal attributes. Aiven complies with applicable local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company operates. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and any other terms and conditions related to employment.
At Aiven, we are committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities or special needs in our working environment and job application procedures. We make all reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities or who otherwise need support to thrive in the workplace. We are committed to continuously improving workplace accessibility. There is an option to request a discussion in the application process but if you have any questions before applying please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other Jobs from Aiven
See 15,000+ More Jobs Like These
Subscribe to weekly membership and unlock all jobs
15,000+ jobs from 2,600+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results
Become a member