Airbnb was born in 2007 when two Hosts welcomed three guests to their San Francisco home, and has since grown to over 4 million Hosts who have welcomed more than 1 billion guest arrivals in almost every country across the globe. Every day, Hosts offer unique stays and experiences that make it possible for guests to connect with communities in a more authentic way.
The Community You Will Join:
Airbnb Payments team allows any two people in the world to frictionlessly exchange money with easy to use payments services. It is a core strategy to fulfill Airbnb’s belongs anywhere mission.We are building a world-class payments platform that moves billions of dollars, in 191 countries, with 75 currencies, through a complex ecosystem of payments partners. We build and maintain our own in-house global payments platform because no solution exists with the global reach needed. As the platform grows we’ll be adding new payment partners, global licenses, compliance and regulation controls, and building new payment experiences for our guests and hosts.
The Difference You Will Make:
We are looking for talented and self-motivated Senior Software Engineers who are passionate about working in this highly dynamic domain and collaborating with world-class XFN teams to advance our mission. As part of the Payments Platform Engineering team, you will be in charge of designing and building a wide range of scalable systems. You will be involved in the technical details of building highly available services in close collaboration with product, data science and operations teams to understand and react to the ever evolving business needs and to make Airbnb the world’s safest while easiest to use payments platform.
We have Senior Software Engineer openings across the following teams:
Payments Processing: The Payments Processing Team builds the gateway platform that connects Airbnb to the outside world of payment processors for the execution of any payment anywhere reliably, accurately, conveniently, and cost-effectively. We are a backend team integrating with 20+ payment providers like PayPal, Adeyn and Bank of America, holding the routing rules for 300+ merchant accounts all over the world, and consuming 50+ different financial reporting files for settlement and reconciliation purposes.
Payments Transactions: Payments Transactions is building the core billing system for Airbnb money movements. The team engineers are responsible for the seamless orchestration and recording of Airbnb’s payment obligations with our community. They initiate, advance, and realize Airbnb’s payment commitments with our community in a way that is reliable, accurate, timely, scalable, and auditable.
A Typical Day:
- Building and maintaining a long-term technology stack with well defined APIs that is service-oriented, modular, granular, observable, and efficient.
- Working closely with product managers, data scientists and other XFN partners to develop product features.
- Focusing on continuous monitoring and alerting to uplevel the quality and observability of our systems.
- Collaborating with other engineering teams across Airbnb to advance our engineering process and technical foundation.
- 5+ years of relevant industry experience (Payments/Fintech) as a backend software engineer.
- Proficient in at least one major programming language (preferably Java/Scala/Ruby on Rails/Python). Experience in React (or any equivalent JS library) would be nice to have.
- Exposure to architectural patterns of large, high-scale web applications, such as well-designed APIs, high volume data pipelines, and efficient algorithms.
- Passion for delivering products end-to-end, from ideation through planning and scoping to implementation and experimental A/B testing.
- Rigor in high code quality, automated testing, and other engineering best practices.
- Experience or desire to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams with product, data scientists, design and operations.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills and detail oriented.
- Capable of making data driven decisions and articulating tradeoffs in any technical decisions.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience.
This position is US - Remote Eligible. The role may include occasional work at an Airbnb office or attendance at offsites, as agreed to with your manager. While the position is Remote Eligible, you must live in a state where Airbnb, Inc. has a registered entity. Click here for the up-to-date list of excluded states. This list is continuously evolving, so please check back with us if the state you live in is on the exclusion list. If your position is employed by another Airbnb entity, your recruiter will inform you what states you are eligible to work from.
Our Commitment To Inclusion & Belonging:
Airbnb is committed to working with the broadest talent pool possible. We believe diverse ideas foster innovation and engagement, and allow us to attract creatively-led people, and to develop the best products, services and solutions. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply.
We strive to also provide a disability inclusive application and interview process. If you are a candidate with a disability and require reasonable accommodation in order to submit an application, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your full name, the role you’re applying for and the accommodation necessary to assist you with the recruiting process.
We ask that you only reach out to us if you are a candidate whose disability prevents you from being able to complete our online application.
How We'll Take Care of You:
Our job titles may span more than one career level. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs and market demands. The base pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. This role may also be eligible for bonus, equity, benefits, and Employee Travel Credits.
Other Jobs from Airbnb
See 15,000+ More Jobs Like These
Subscribe to weekly membership and unlock all jobs
15,000+ jobs from 2,600+ well-funded companies
New jobs are added every day as companies post them
Use filters like skill, location, etc to narrow results