Backend Engineer II | Acorns
PHISHING SCAM WARNING: Acorns Grow, Inc. ("Acorns") is among several companies recently made aware of a phishing scam involving con artists posing as Acorns recruiters via email, text, and social media. The imposters are creating misleading email accounts, conducting remote “interviews,” and making fake job offers in order to collect personal and financial information from unsuspecting individuals.Please note that Acorns only uses company email addresses, which contain “@acorns.com” to communicate with candidates via email. The company also uses secure tools on our website to receive data from applicants and would never ask them to submit their personal banking information to apply for an open job. If you are contacted by someone about an open job at Acorns, please verify the domain of the sender’s email address and that they are asking you to apply on this website. If you believe you’ve been a victim of a phishing scam, please visit the Department of Homeland Security’s Cyber Smart website to learn how to report it. For additional information on how to identify job scams, please scroll to the bottom of the post.
Acorns is seeking experienced backend engineers for our team who have a passion for building robust, scalable, software and systems for customer focused financial products, love learning new technologies on the job, think creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoy working collaboratively.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine, CA or New York, NY offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
- You will lead key web service development with a focus on availability, latency, and capacity
- You will own all aspects of the code you produce including unit tests, automated tests, and operational support
- You will create service designs and lead architectural reviews.
- You will lead the operational health of Investment web services and drive continuous improvement in the alit of the services you own.
Who You Are:
- You are objective, empathetic, passionate and curious
- You have an understanding of the complete software development lifecycle
- You enjoy thinking of the customer first when writing code
- You have strong analytical and problem solving skills
- You actively invest in keeping up with current best practices and new technologies
- You insist on quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code
What you will bring to Acorns:
- 3-4+ years of relevant experience building and supporting production software
- Expertise with SQL or NoSQL solutions
- Experience with API design and implementation (REST/GraphQL)
- Strong understanding of object oriented and functional programming paradigms
- Expertise in a major, dynamically typed, programming language
- Strong understanding of algorithms, time complexity, data structures and design patterns
- Strong track record of good software engineering practices such as code reviews, deep focus on quality and documentation
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to a diverse community:
Acorns is committed to building a diverse community of customers, partners, and team members. We believe that fostering diversity not only fuels creativity, but also challenges conventional thinking and helps us properly represent the unique experience of the everyday consumer that we serve.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way
The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $149,000 and $174,700/year; however, base pay offered may vary depending on multiple individualized factors, including market location, job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, equity grants, and discretionary cash bonus awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment.
If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
*How to identify a phishing scam: Phishing scams have become increasingly sophisticated, and it's essential to stay vigilant. Here are some key tips to help you identify job scams:
- Examine the sender's email address: Check the sender's email address carefully. Often, scammers use deceptive addresses that may look similar to legitimate ones but contain slight variations or misspellings. Again, we will only ever contact you from an acorns.com email address.
- Beware of urgent or alarming messages: Phishing emails often create a sense of urgency, urging you to take immediate action.
- Look for grammatical errors and poor formatting: Many phishing attempts include grammatical errors, typos, and poorly formatted content.
- Hover over links before clicking: Hover your mouse cursor over any links in the email to preview the actual URL. If the link's destination seems suspicious or doesn't match the displayed text, do not click on it.
- Never share sensitive information: Legitimate organizations will never ask for sensitive data like passwords, social security numbers, or credit card information via email. Avoid sharing such details unless you are confident about the recipient's identity and their purpose for needing the information.
- Watch out for suspicious attachments: Don't open attachments from unfamiliar sources, as they may contain malware or viruses. Even if the sender seems legitimate, exercise caution with unexpected attachments.
- Trust your instincts: If something feels off or too good to be true, trust your gut and proceed with caution.